Picture this – a cold winter morning, you’re sitting by the window with your favourite book in your hand. You know what you need to complete this beautiful dream right? A delicious rich hot chocolate. When that sweet, warm hot chocolate milk touches your taste buds, something magical happens.
So skip the premade mix this year, and try out not one, but three amazing homemade hot chocolate drinks with three different types of milk! With these exciting vegan friendly hot chocolate recipes at your disposal, you’re sure to be spoilt for choice!
1. Classic Hot Chocolate
Let’s start with the basics, in a not-so-basic way. The classic hot chocolate needs no introduction, and because we believe in #HealthyAlternatives, we’re making this cup of happiness vegan friendly. After all, everyone deserves the sweet joy of a classic hot chocolate drink with almond milk!
• 4 cups Healthy Alternatives – Almond Milk
• 2 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Sugar
• 1 Healthy Alternatives – Organic Cinnamon Quill
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 6 ounces Cacao Chocolate
• Pinch of salt
1. To a medium saucepan, placed over low heat, pour in the milk, sugar, cinnamon stick and vanilla extract. Heat it until a very gentle simmer and take the saucepan off the heat.
2. Allow it to steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and discard it.
3. Create a double boiler by setting a stainless steel or glass bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and heat until the chocolate is melted.
4. Place the steeped milk over medium low heat, and pour in the melted chocolate; whisk until completely incorporated and the mixture is hot. Add a pinch of salt.
5. Divide it between mugs and top it with some vegan whipped cream, and sprinkle it with chocolate powder.
2. Lavender White Hot Chocolate
The unique blend of white chocolate and lavender extracts makes the Lavender White Hot Chocolate drink perfect for when you need to relax and pamper yourself. Enjoy this aromatic treat with some flaky croissants and fresh strawberries to make it even more special.
1. First prepare the white chocolate. Boil water in a small saucepan, place a heatproof bowl to create a double boiler and add the cocoa butter.
2. Allow the cocoa butter to melt fully, and then add the coconut oil. Keep whisking the mixture with a metal whisk or a fork.
3. Once both ingredients have melted, turn off the heat and add the vanilla extract and sugar. Using an electric whisk, blend all the ingredients until fully combined and smooth.
4. Your white chocolate is ready. You can keep it in the refrigerator or keep it aside while you prepare the milk.
5. To prepare the hot chocolate milk, add the soy milk, vanilla extract and lavender extract/buds in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it simmer till the milk is full of flavour. Strain the milk through a fine mesh to leave the lavender buds out.
6. Add the white chocolate to the hot milk and whisk rigorously till its fully blended. Serve it in mugs with vegan whipped cream and sprinkle with lavender buds (optional).
3. Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Bring in the Christmas spirit with this special Peppermint Hot Chocolate. This hot chocolate recipe is always a winner with the kids and grown-ups alike. No one can resist the perfect balance of minty freshness and sweet cocoa. Add a candy cane along with it, and you’re good to go!
• 2 cups Healthy Alternatives – Coconut Milk
• 1.5-ounce cacao dark chocolate, chopped
• 2-3 tbsp. powdered sugar (depending on preferred sweetness)
• Pinch of salt
• 2 drops peppermint extract/peppermint drops
• In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over medium-low heat. Turn off the heat once the milk is simmering.
• Add the chocolate, sugar, salt, and peppermint extract to hot milk. Whisk until everything is combined. Serve it in mugs, top it with frozen coconut whipped cream and add a candy cane stick (optional).
So which one’s going to be your go-to vegan hot chocolate mix recipe for those midnight cravings? Just make sure you get your essential ingredients before time & make the best hot chocolate for your friends & family this winter season! Get them at Nature’s Basket !
Want more mouth-watering hot chocolate recipes? Try out the Spiced Hot Chocolate recipe to cozy up on a chilly winter morning!