- Egg bread (Gyeran Bbang)
This Korean street food is the perfect brunch item to brighten up your day.
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 70 gram (1/3 cup) sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1 egg (medium/large)
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs (small/medium)
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Take a 6 cup muffin pan and lightly grease with butter or ghee.
- Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter, 1 egg, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk until it forms a smooth batter and then pour it into your muffin pan.
- Top each muffin cup with 1 egg.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and parsley over it.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until it’s a warm golden brown.
- Once done, remove and enjoy!
2. Korean Fried Chicken (Yangnyeom Tongdak)
This crispy street style chicken is double fried for an extra crunch. Pair it with a cold beer to enjoy the taste of Korean street food in the best way possible!
- 1 kg chicken thigh (with the skin on)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp rice wine (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
Batter for Frying
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cold water
Sweet and Spicy Glaze
- 1 ½ tbsp of Korean red chilli paste
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Prepare a marinade by mixing all the marinade ingredients together.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and let it marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes in the marinade mix.
- Longer marinade period, better the flavour, make sure the chicken is properly coated in the mix.
- In a bowl, mix flour, corn starch, cold water, garlic powder, baking powder, and onion powder till you get a smooth paste.
- Add the marinated chicken bits and make sure it’s evenly coated in the batter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and once it’s hot, deep fry the chicken till it’s a crispy golden brown.
- Once it’s done, double fry it for another 2 minutes.
- In another pan add the Korean red chilli paste, garlic, soy sauce and let it simmer.
- After one minute, add the chicken and toss it well.
- Once it’s done, garnish with sesame seeds and serve!
3. Dalgona Candy (Ppopgi)
Thanks to Squid Game, Netflix’s newest K-Drama, Dalgona Candy has been trending. Here’s how to make this shiny, golden, honeycomb toffee for yourself.
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- Put the sugar in a ladle.
- Melt it over a medium or low flame. Stir it to make sure it melts completely.
- Add a pinch of baking soda and mix it in well.
- The mixture should foam up with the addition of baking soda, be careful not to burn it.
- Pour this mixture onto a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Use a circular press to flatten the mix into a flat, round disc.
- Use a cookie cutter to press a shape into the centre of the disc.
- Wait for it to cool and you’re good to go!
Get all you need to recreate these tasty recipes at Nature’s Basket.
Read more here: You Guide To Lip-Smacking Korean BBQ Recipes