The best time of the year with the best cookies is here! Tis the season to bake some gingerbread cookies. We have brought to you the perfect gingerbread cookie recipe to prepare this festive season. You can make a gingerbread house, gingerbread man, some candy canes and a Christmas tree as well. The best part about these cookies? You can sit down with your family and make these to bring in the holiday cheer! Read on below to get baking these delicious and super fun gingerbread cookies.
- 3/4 cup or (1 1/2 sticks) butter softened
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 2/3 c. sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2″ piece fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. finely ground black pepper (optional)
- Sugar Cookie Icing, for decorating
- Sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and molasses until fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Now, add egg and vanilla and beat until combined
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda, and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, as well as fresh ginger, orange zest, and black pepper (if using), until the dough just comes together make sure you don’t overmix
- Divide dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 to 3 hours
- Alternatively, divide dough in half and roll each piece of dough between two pieces of parchment to 1/4″ thick. Chill until firm
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/4″ thick
- You can peel off both sheets of parchment from the dough, then replace one sheet of parchment back underneath the dough
- Cut out gingerbread men with a 3″ wide cutter and transfer to baking sheets
- Bake until slightly puffed and set, 9 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie cutters
- Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely
- Repeat with remaining disc of dough. Decorate with icing and sprinkles as desired.
The best way to prepare gingerbread cookies is to ask your kids for help! They would love making little Christmas trees and gingerbread houses! What are you waiting for; grab all your Christmas baking supplies at Nature’s Basket.com.
Want more? Check out DIY Christmas cookie recipe perfect for your children.