When Christmas rolls around, many of us imagine baking with the kids, but complicated recipes get in our way. Make this year different with a collection of Christmas cookies that are simple enough to make with your little ones. We have gathered few DIY Christmas cookie recipes for you, from classics to some adorable alternatives. Read on to get baking with your kids.
1. Classic Ginger Bread Cookies
These classic gingerbread cookies are every kid’s favourite. Read on to make this perfect DIY recipe.
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups all – purpose flour
- 1- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. grounded ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. cloves
- M&M’s or white chocolate chips for decorating.
You will need a cookie cutter for gingerbread people.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat – butter and sugar together until fluffy
- Now, add egg and vanilla and beat well
- In a separate bowl, sift together the – the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves
- Slowly, stir in the wet ingredients until well incorporated
- Now, separate the dough into three pieces. Form into logs and wrap in plastic
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Celsius
- Roll dough out to thickness of ¼ inches. Use a cookie cutter to make gingerbread people.
2. Oatmeal Cranberry Cookie
Easy and chewy oatmeal cookies packed with cranberries are a perfect treat for the holidays.
- ½ pound unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 3 cups oats
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups cranberry dried
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Celsius
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before you begin
- In a mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and the salt on low speed
- Now, add the eggs, milk and vanilla until blended together
- Sift the – flour, baking soda, baking powder together in a small bowl
- Combine the oats with all the dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
- Now, mix the cranberries into the dough
- With the help of your silicon mat, scoop equivalent size dough balls on the sheet
- Leave enough space to allow them to spread
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges turn golden brown
- Now, place your cookies on the wire rack and let them cool.
3. Creamy Butter Christmas Cookies
This is the simplest and easiest butter cookie recipe. It is a must for holiday cookie platter. You can’t miss on this one. Read on to make this delicious buttery cookie this season.
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, mix – butter and sugar until fluffy
- Now add the eggs and beat well while adding vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients – all purpose flour, baking powder, salt in a separate bowl
- Now add the creamed mixture to the wet ingredients gradually
- Press cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet or silicone sheet
- Now, bake your cookies at 350 degrees Celsius for 7-8 minutes
- Place the butter cookies on the wire rack and allow them to cool
- If desired, decorate the cookies with melted chocolate or sprinkles.
The best part about these cookies? Getting creative with your kid when decorating the cookies!
Buy all the required ingredients at Nature’s Basket store now! Let’s get you baking.