World Egg day is celebrated on the second Friday of October every year, this year it falls on the 8th. Eggs have always been a breakfast favourite as they are a good source of nutrients and vitamins. They’re eaten boiled, poached and fried. There’s no end to the diversity when it comes to egg recipes. But why limit this amazingly versatile protein to just breakfast? Celebrate the power of egg with our delectable breakfast-lunch-and-dinner combo of healthy egg recipes!
- Poached Eggs
You can’t go wrong with this classic poached egg and toast recipe. It makes for a healthy, gooey breakfast to keep you going throughout the day!
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices of white bread
- 1 dash vinegar
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt (as required)
- water (as required)
- Boil water in a deep bottomed pan and add a dash of vinegar.
- Crack the eggs in separate bowls and add them one by one to the water.
- Use a wooden stick to gently push the egg white towards the yolk.
- Make sure there’s enough space between the eggs so they cook properly.
- When done, cover the pan and turn the heat off.
- Let the eggs sit in the hot water till the egg white becomes rigid.
- Take your bread slices and butter and toast them.
- Once done, take a spoon and carefully put the eggs on the toasted bread.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper, garnish with spring onions and your breakfast is ready!
2. Egg Salad
Whip up a light and breezy egg salad this World Egg Day. It makes for the perfect, creamy side dish to go with your lunch!
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp celery finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dill chopped
- 3 tbsp chives chopped
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- Hard boil your eggs and peel and chop them.
- In a bowl add finely chopped celery, red onion, dill and chives.
- Add the eggs to this mix.
- In another bowl, take all the dressing ingredients and combine.
- Gently pour the dressing over the eggs, make sure it’s evenly coated.
3. Spanish Omelette
This thick omelette will fill you right up. Pair it with roti, add mozzarella for a cheesy twist, and dinner is served!
- 500g new potatoes
- 1 onion, preferably white
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 eggs
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thick slices.
- Chop the onions.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onions and potatoes.
- Cover partially and cook for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are softened.
- Stir occasionally.
- Strain when done, keep the oil aside.
- Beat the eggs separately, then stir into the potatoes and add parsley.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Heat a little of the strained oil in a smaller pan.
- Add the omelette mix to the pan and cook on medium flame.
- You can use a spatula to shape it into a thick pie.
- When it’s almost done, flip it and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove and serve!
Has your mouth started watering yet? Shop for all-natural and fresh ingredients here so you can try these recipes out for yourself.
Can’t get enough? Read more here: Eggciting and Delicious Egg Recipes For Every Egg Lover