Did you know that “chia” is the ancient Mayan word for ‘strength’? Chia seeds have been treasured across civilizations, so why are we only hearing about them now? You’ve probably been fooled by their size, they may be super tiny, but they pack a dense, super nutritional punch! Chia seeds are supremely healthy; in fact, they are amongst the healthiest foods on the planet. Read on to find out why you should chia your way through life!
1. Superseeds To Indulge In
High in nutrients and low in calories, that’s the way chia seeds roll. These tiny, black kernels are one of the most nutrient drenched foods in the world. Loaded with fiber, antioxidants, protein, omega-3 fatty acids among various other micronutrients, chia seeds are 40% fiber, by weight. They also contain a high number of essential nutrients needed for maintaining our bone health. Seriously, is there anything these mighty kernels can’t do? That’s why we say, viva la chia!
2. The Most Versatile Superfood
The best part about chia seeds is that there are so many different ways you can incorporate them in your diet! Maybe, you are in the mood to have a bit of smoothie fun, maybe you are with some instant dessert cravings or maybe, you want to keep things light with a refreshing salad for lunch, whatever it is that your taste buds crave, believe us, there is always room to sprinkle some chia love around! So, what are you waiting for? Join the Chia Seed revolution with these easy healthy and tasty home chia recipes!
3. Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes
Flip off those regular super sugary pancakes, there’s a new player in town. These Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes are primed to boost your day and enhance your health! Laden with fibre and whole grains, it’s difficult to get this dish wrong.
• 1 cup of Healthy Alternatives Organic Whole Wheat Flour
• ½ a cup of oats
• 1 cup of milk
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon of Healthy Alternatives Canola Oil
• 2 tablespoons of Healthy Alternatives Floral Blend Honey
• ½ tablespoon of Pumpkin pie spice (Check out this DIY recipe for pumpkin pie spice here)
• 1 ½ tablespoons of baking powder
• ¼ tablespoon of salt
• 1 ½ tablespoons of Healthy Alternatives Raw Chia Seeds
• Choice of syrup
1. Spray a pan with a cooking spray and heat it to medium heat.
2. Beat the egg and add the Canola oil along with the milk.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, the oats, the pumpkin pie spice, the baking powder and the salt.
4. Slowly, combine the flour mixture and the egg mixture. Add honey and ensure it is well mixed. Lastly, add the Chia Seeds. (Save a teaspoon of Chia Seeds for garnish)
5. Pour ¼ of a cup of batter onto the pan and cook until the edges of the pancake starts to bubble.
6. Flip and cook the pancake for about 3-4 minutes until the centre is completely done.
7. Top it off with some syrup of your choice (Not too much though, keep the sugar content low) and sprinkle the Chia Seeds.
8. Eat, Sleep, Pancake, Repeat!
4. Banana Bread Chia Seed Mini Loafs
Looking for something to feast on between your meals? How about something truly satiating and nutritious? Banana Bread Chia Seed Mini Loafs will do just the trick! We promise you will be going gaga for this banana chia bread. After all, it’s the age of the health conscious!
• ¼ cup of Healthy Alternatives Organic Whole Wheat Flour
• 1 cup of Healthy Alternatives Quinoa flour
• ½ cup of Organic sugar – Healthy Alternatives
• ¼ cup of Organic brown sugar – Healthy Alternatives
• ½ tablespoon of baking soda
• ½ tablespoon of cinnamon
• ¼ tablespoon of salt
• 1 tablespoon of Healthy Alternatives Raw Chia Seeds
• 1 egg
• 1 ½ ripe bananas smashed
• ¼ cup of Healthy Alternatives Canola oil
• 1 tablespoon of Vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and spray cooking spray on two mini loaf pans.
2. Beat sugars, egg, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
3. Once sugar mixture is combined, beat in bananas.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
5. Slowly beat flour mixture into sugar mixture.
6. Beat in chia seeds.
7. Pour batter into two loaf pans. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until the tops of the loaves are light brown.
5. Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Chocoholics unite! This contemporary pudding sure puts an exciting spin on a basic dish. The unique texture will leave you surprised and so too will the health benefits of this desert. Even better, you can have it for breakfast. Loaded with proteins, antioxidants and omega-3 acids, you’d definitely be starting your day right!
1. Mix the chia seeds and the almond milk in a bowl.
2. Stir in the cocoa powder and sugar
3. Leave it to settle and thicken in the fridge overnight
Hop onto the chia seed bandwagon, get every type of chia seed on Nature’s Basket.
Wanna keep drooling? Check out this blueberry banana smoothie with chia seeds recipe.