Blueberries are one of those fruits that just go well with everything. Be it healthy breakfast recipes or sweet and scrumptious desserts. This very berry is loved by all, even your doctor! Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants, super rich in fibres, vitamin C, vitamin B and essential phytonutrients that support heart health and help in maintaining blood sugar levels. But most of all, they taste absolutely delicious, and when added in dessert dishes, they can put your sweet-tooth in heaven! Check out some of our favourite easy blueberry dessert recipes here –
1. Blueberry Crumb Bars
These blueberry crumb bars are perfect for snacks or desserts with its sweet and tangy taste, and crumbly texture. Use up your blueberry-picking haul on these delicious bars filled with juicy berries and enjoy the fresh fruit in a unique way! Check out the recipe below –
• 1 lemon
• 2 1/2 c. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Wheat Maida
• 3/4 c. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Sugar
• 1 tsp. Healthy Alternatives – Ground Cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 c. (2 sticks) butter (cut up and cold)
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 4 c. fresh blueberries
• 1/2 c. brown sugar
• 2 tbsp. cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking pan with foil and grease the foil. Grate 1 tsp. lemon zest and squeeze 2 tbsp. lemon juice.
2. In a food processor, pulse the flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, grated lemon zest, and salt until combined. Add the butter and vanilla and pulse just until dough resembles crumbs. Transfer half of the dough to the prepared pan. Place the remaining dough in a refrigerator. Firmly press the dough in a pan into an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the blueberries, brown sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Spread the berry mixture over the crust. Firmly squeeze chilled dough into small clumps and scatter all over the berries.
4. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until topping is golden brown. Let it cool completely on a wired rack. Cut it into squares and serve.
2. Blueberry Focaccia
Don’t pinch yourself, because yes there’s a version of Focaccia bread out there with blueberries and it’s not a dream. This delicious Italian baked goodness when mixed with blueberries goes to another level of taste heaven. Try out the recipe yourself to find out just how amazing it tastes. Your breakfast is never going to boring again!
• ½ cup Healthy Alternatives – Organic Sugar
• 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
• 3 cups Healthy Alternatives – Organic Wheat Maida
• 1 packet rapid-rise active dry yeast
• ¾ tsp. salt
• 1¼ cup whole milk
• 1 Healthy Alternatives – Free Range Organic Egg
• ½ stick unsalted butter
• 2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Pulse sugar and lemon zest in a food processor until zest is finely ground and incorporated into the sugar. In a large bowl, whisk 1⁄3 cup of the lemon sugar, 3 cups of the flour, the yeast and salt until blended. Heat milk in a 2 cup measure in microwave on high for around 1 and 1⁄2 minutes; add to flour mixture with egg and butter.
2. Mix with a rubber spatula until a soft, sticky dough forms; scrape dough onto a floured surface. Using a dough scraper to assist, knead with some of the remaining 1⁄2 cup flour to form smooth and pliable dough, for about 2 minutes. Cover the dough with the mixing bowl; let it rest for 10 minutes.
3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the dough in half. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, stretch and pat out on parchment into a 12 inch free-form rectangle, about 1⁄4 inches thick.
4. Scatter with half of blueberries and half of the remaining lemon sugar. On a floured surface, pat out and stretch the remaining dough slightly larger than the first piece and place it over the bottom dough. Press the edges together and tuck them under the loaf. Cover it with a sheet of greased plastic wrap.
5. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. With floured fingers, dimple the surface of the loaf. Scatter the remaining blueberries and lemon sugar on top of the loaf and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Slide the Focaccia onto a wired rack and let it cool slightly. Serve it warm.
3. Blueberry Orange Summer Pudding
This summer pudding is all you need to give yourself a fresh, juicy pick-me-up. Packed with all that vitamin C from the blueberries and oranges, we can assure you it’s berry delicious. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, but a bit of patience will be rewarding! Try this recipe for a great summer dessert!
1. Set aside a few of the blueberries for garnish, if desired. Lightly grease a small (4-cup) bowl with cooking spray. Line with 2 long pieces of plastic wrap, letting the excess hang over the sides. Make room in the fridge.
2. Finely grate 2 tsp. zest from the orange. Squeeze 2/3 cup juice from the orange. Put the juice and zest in a medium saucepan with about 2/3 of the blueberries and the sugar.
3. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring, until the berries are soft and the liquid is syrupy, for about 3 minutes. Slide the pan from the heat and add the remaining blueberries. With the back of a spoon, press on the fresh blueberries until lightly crushed. Set it aside to cool slightly.
4. Arrange one row of ladyfingers top side down and slightly overlapping (keep attached, if possible) to cover the interior of the bowl completely. Fill the gaps with smaller pieces. Spoon the berries (with as little liquid as possible) into the bowl.
5. Cover it with the remaining ladyfingers, and then pour the juice on top. Wrap the excess plastic over the bowl. Put a flat plate large enough to cover the pudding on top and set a 2- or 3-pound weight (think large can of tomatoes) on it. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 2 days.
6. To serve, unwrap the mold and invert onto a shallow serving bowl or plate. Gently pull on the plastic while lifting off the bowl. Cut it into wedges. Garnish with the reserved blueberries, if you like.
Get the freshest blueberry haul from the Nature’s Basket store now and treat yourself to one (or all!) of these amazing blueberry desserts!
Want to add blueberries to more of your daily food? Check out these 3 vegan blueberry breakfast recipes for a healthy and tasty start to your day!