Breakfast is undeniably the most important meal of the day. You may want to skip breakfast for a few extra minutes in bed – but trust us you’re doing it wrong. The body needs nutrients to help you kick-start your day and breakfast is the fuel your body needs. As they say, eat breakfast like a king, and that’s exactly what we’re going to help you with. Indian spices, grains and lentils are wholesome, nutritious and extremely delicious. We have 3 simple and healthy Indian breakfast recipes to give your mornings a healthy boost.
1. Oats Idli
Healthy, feather light idlis with the goodness of oats – now that’s the kind of motivation you need to get out of bed early! Idlis are a breakfast favourite for all Indians and can be made even healthier with oats! Oats are a great source of fiber, minerals and antioxidants and the best part about oats is that they keep you feeling full for longer, making it less likely for you to overeat during the day.
• 1½ cup Healthy Alternatives – Rolled Oats
• ½ cup semolina fine
• 1 cup yoghurt
• 1 cup coriander leaves (finely chopped)
• ½ tsp. fruit salt
• 1 pinch salt
• 1 tsp. cooking oil
• ½ tsp. mustard seeds
• 1 sprig curry leaves
• 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
• ¼ tsp. asafetida (hing)
• 1 tbsp. urad dal
• 1 cup carrots (grated)
1. In a pan, dry roast the oats till they change colour to a light brown. Blend the oats once cooled, to get a powder-like consistency. In the same pan, dry roast the semolina till it changes colour to light brown.
2. In another pan, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and the green chilies. Let the mustard seeds splutter. After this, add the grated carrots to the pan. In a large mixing bowl, mix the roasted oats powder and semolina and combine the carrot mixture with it. Add in the yogurt and mix well.
3. Grease the idli steamer with oil and pour in the batter into each section. Steam the idlis for 15 minutes. To know if the idli is cooked, poke it with a knife and if it comes out clean, it is well cooked and ready to eat! Serve hot with some coconut or mint chutney.
2. Quinoa And Lentil Dosa
Who ever thought that quinoa and lentils would make such a magical combination? Perfect for the carb conscious – this quinoa and lentil dosa is perfect for a healthy morning breakfast. Quinoa is a powerhouse of proteins and is rich in iron and magnesium. You need this in your daily diet! Let’s have a look at this genius quinoa and lentil recipe –
• 1 cup quinoa
• ½ cup urad dal
• ½ cup moong dal
• 1 tsp. salt
• Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
1. Rinse the quinoa several times in water till the water runs clear. Soak the quinoa, moong dal and urad dal in water for 5-6 hours.
2. Drain the water from the lentils and quinoa. Add this mixture to a blender and keep adding water little by little till it makes a smooth batter. Add salt and mix well.
3. Grease a wide, non-stick skillet with cooking oil. Pour a ladle of batter and spread in a circular motion. Cook until golden brown. Serve with a side of coconut chutney. Repeat the same with the rest of the batter.
3. Mixed Sprouts Poha
A nutritious breakfast in the morning makes sure you have enough energy to get through the rest of your day. Poha is rich in iron and energy and will help keep your hemoglobin in check. Add a nutritious twist to the traditional poha with some protein-packed sprouts.
• 1 ½ cups Healthy Alternatives – Organic Poha
• ½ cup Healthy Alternatives – Organic Moong Dal Whole (boiled)
• ½ cup black chana (boiled)
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 1 tsp. mustard seeds
• 2 green chilies (whole)
• 1 onion (finely chopped)
• ½ tsp. turmeric powder
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1 tbsp. lemon juice
• ¼ cup coriander leaves (finely chopped)
1. Place the poha in a sieve and wash lightly. Drain and leave aside. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start crackling, add the green chilies and onions and sauté on medium flame till golden brown.
2. Add the mixed sprouts and sauté on medium flame for 1-2 minutes. Add turmeric powder, sugar and salt, add ¼ cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame.
3. Add the poha to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Mix well, stirring continuously. Serve hot and garnish with lemon juice and fresh coriander.
Get all the ingredients you need to start your mornings healthy at the Nature’s Basket store now!
Wondering how to treat your child to something wholesome and nutritious? Check out Easy Healthy Snacks For Kids.