We cannot stress enough upon eating quality food post workout. Not only does it fuel your body right, but also helps recover from the microscopic wear and tear that your muscles have undergone. Plus, when you eat well, it automatically shows in your workout efforts.
Now, we all know the basics; you need to make up for the lost glycogen (carbs) for energy and eat food rich in amino acids (proteins) and a little bit of healthy fat to keep you fulfilled throughout the day. We know how much you hate relying solely on protein powder, chicken, and rice so we have rounded up 4 wholesome meals that taste great and will get you the desired nutrients without hampering your workout progress.
1. Protein Pancakes
Who doesn’t love pancakes? These pancakes pack a mean punch of protein without a ton of carbs, perfect for those who want to gain muscle mass without looking too lean. The egg whites and oats provide an optimum dose of protein and fibre. The banana gives the much needed potassium the body needs after a workout. All in all, it is a perfect power meal with slow digesting proteins giving you energy for the rest of the day. And the cherry on top? They’re pancakes!
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl together till you get a smooth batter.
2. Pour this on a preheated griddle on a medium to low heat. Flip when the bubbles start to form and cook on the other side for another 1 minute.
3. Serve with blueberries.
2. Tofu Vegetable Stir-fry
A vegetarian’s saviour is tofu. The iron, calcium, and mineral content makes it an ideal ingredient for daily use and the protein content gives it an overall win. It contains all the essential 8 amino acids and is an excellent source of protein minus all the fat. Pair up tofu with green veggies and you get a wholesome meal with all the necessary carbs, dietary fiber, and protein in a deliciously cooked stir-fry.
• 200 gm. firm tofu (diced)
• 1/4 cup carrots (sliced)
• 10 broccoli florets
• 4 baby corns (diced)
• 1 onion (sliced)
• 1/2 tbsp. garlic paste
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 2 tbsp. stir fry sauce
• 1 tbsp. crushed red peppers
• 1/2 capsicum (sliced)
• 1/2 tbsp. ginger (grated)
• 1/4 cup peanuts (chopped)
1. Heat oil in a skillet and add tofu. Cook and toss till the tofu becomes golden brown. Keep this aside.
2. Using the same skillet add the ginger, garlic, red peppers, peanuts and onions. Fry this for a minute and then add the remaining veggies and cook them on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Add the stir-fry sauce and season with salt, then cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the tofu to this mixture and serve hot.
3. Chicken and Sweet Potato Hash
From now on, recover gourmet style. Chicken is the perfect lean meat for the protein and slow carbs that the sweet potatoes offer, making it ideal for body builders. Sweet potatoes digest slowly, so you have high energy levels and your insulin spikes just enough to feed the muscles but not the fat. Follow the recipe to make a mouth-watering chicken and sweet potato hash –
• 200 gm. chicken breast (cooked and diced)
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 1/2 cup sweet potato (diced)
• 1/2 cup apples (diced)
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
• ½ avocado (fleshed and sliced)
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add sweet potatoes and onions. Cook and toss occasionally until the potato begins to brown. Now, add the chicken, apples, and cinnamon and let it cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 2. Serve alongside with sliced avocados for those amazing fatty acids.
4. Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie
Dessert for weight loss? Believe it or not, non-fat chocolate milk is the perfect ingredient after a high endurance workout. The energy lost during an intense workout is quickly replenished and the protein helps re-build the muscles. The almond milk is your nutritious choice when it comes to replenishing energy and keeping the fat levels low. Plus, cacao tastes almost like cocoa, and in our opinion, even better! It’s pure chocolate after all! So enjoy this sweet treat and ace your fitness goals.
• 1 cup almond milk
• 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Peanut Butter
• 1 frozen banana
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Chia Seeds (soaked overnight)
• 1 scoop double chocolate whey protein powder
• 1-3 ice cubes
1. Take all the ingredients and blend them together in a blender on high speed until smooth. Pour in a tall glass and enjoy.
All set to conquer your fitness goals now? Don’t forget to run to the Nature’s Basket store to get your ingredients!
Want to turn your daily diet healthy in more creative ways? Check out this 6 Colour Meal Plan which not only gives you all the essential nutrients but also colours up your plate and palette.