For all that our mothers do to comfort us with their hand cooked meals, show her how much you love her with these yummy dishes this mother’s day. Here are some simple yet delicious treats which are sure to make her feel special.
Sweet, succulent, soft and creamy, strawberry crepes are a perfect dish that will hit the sweet spot. Crepes are thin little French pancakes that are easy to make and great for a breakfast in bed.
- 3 Healthy Alternatives eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 gms cream cheese
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Place the eggs, milk, water, melted butter, flour, and salt in a
blender; blend until smooth.
- Blend the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, lemon
zest, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream. Heat a lightly oiled non-stick
skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 2 tablespoons
for each crepe. Tip and rotate pan to spread batter as thinly as possible.
- Flip over when the batter is set and the edges are beginning to
brown. Cook until the other side begins to brown.
- Stack finished crepes on a plate, cover with a damp towel and set
- To serve, fill each crepe with 1/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries and
1/3 cup of the cream cheese filling, roll up and top with a small dollop
of the cream cheese filling and more sliced strawberries.
Lemony Blueberry Pancakes
Fluffy Blueberry Lemon Pancakes are bursting with
the perfect balance of sweet blueberries and lemon in every bite.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more softened for serving
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup blueberries
- Maple or pancake syrup, warmed, for serving
- Heat a heavy skillet or grill over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, lemon zest and juice. Allow to sit
for 5 minutes, then add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir gently to
combine. Stir in the melted butter. Splash in more milk if the mixture is
overly thick. Stir in the blueberries.
- Melt a little of the softened butter in the heated skillet. Drop the
batter by 1/4 or 1/3 cup measures and fry the pancakes on both sides for a
couple of minutes until golden.
- Serve with more softened butter and warm syrup.
Bacon & Egg bowl
Crispy bacon with delightful gooey egg is a must have on the brunch menu. This is one scrumptious meal which you need to try.
- 4 crusty round bread buns
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 large bocconcini balls
- 4 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Place it on paper towels to remove
excess fat. Crumble it up in pieces.
- Cut the tops of the bread and scoop out the middle.
- Start by layering slices of bocconcini equally among the bowls.
- Next add equal amounts of bacon to each bowl.
- Crack an egg into each bowl, add the cherry tomatoes and season with
salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chives if preferred.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until eggs are cooked to
Breakfast lasagne with spinach, mushroom and soy crumbles
Delicious slices of veggie lasagne are sure to make your Mum’s heart go “Mama Mia!” Give your mom the protein nutrition she needs with the soya rumble lasagne filled with lots of veggies and cheesy indulgence.
- Lasagne sheets
- 200 gms Soya chunks
- 2 tbsp Healthy Alternatives olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 350 gms of mushrooms
- 2/3 cup mozzarella
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 350 gms Ricotta cheese
- 400 gms chopped spinach
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Nutmeg to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cook the lasagne sheets, drain well and lay on waxed sheets.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil, and cook the
mushrooms. Stir the mushrooms occasionally until the liquid evaporates and
the mushrooms begin to become brown.
- Add in the soy crumbles, 2 cups of marinara sauce and simmer for 2
- Alongside, combine the ricotta, spinach, egg, salt, pepper and
nutmeg in a bowl.
- In a baking dish, spread 1 cup marinara sauce, top with a layer of
lasagne sheets, followed by the cheese and spinach mixture, topped with
the mushroom and soy chunks mixture again topped with the lasagne sheets.
- Continue till the remaining mixtures are used up. Then grate mozzarella
and Parmesan on top.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 minutes, followed by
uncovered baking for another 15 minutes.
- Cut evenly and serve hot!
So cook the perfect meal for your mum and show her how much you love her. And for the perfect meal, get the perfect ingredients from Nature’s Basket. Shop online or at a store near you. Click here.