What’s your plan for Father’s day this year? It’s one of those days where you want to make your big man feel extra special! Some quality time spent with him in the kitchen making some delicious meals, sounds good, right? We have collated some of the simplest meals to prepare along with your dad. Get fresh produce that you need preparing the following recipes at Nature’s Basket and read on below to get set cooking.
- Piri Piri Chicken
- 2 kg chicken, you can buy fresh chicken online at Nature’s Basket
- 2 dried hot chillies
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 6 red chillies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- To make the marinade, tip the dried chillies and the vinegar into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave the chillies to soak until the vinegar is cold. Put the red chillies, garlic, soaked dried chillies and vinegar in a food processor and blitz
- Add the smoked paprika, oregano, thyme, sugar, a pinch of salt and lemon juice. Blitz again to a paste and set aside.
- Set the chicken in a shallow dish and use a small knife to score all over with cuts 1cm deep.
- Make sure you do the legs and the underside. Tip the marinade over the chicken and massage it into the cuts
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hrs, but overnight would be better. When you’re ready to cook, heat the oven to 180C
- Roast the chicken for 1 hr, then turn the heat up to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and cook for a further 30-35 mins until a crust has formed on the outside of the chicken.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 30 mins. Serve with homemade wedges or jacket potatoes, coleslaw, some buttered corn cobs and chilli & mint peas.
2. Beer mac n cheese
- 50g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 50g spinach
- 500 ml milk
- 250 ml of beer
- 220g macaroni
- 100g cheddar, grated – Buy cheese online at Nature’s Basket
- 200g mozzarella – Buy cheese online at Nature’s Basket
- Heat the grill to its highest setting. In a flameproof casserole dish or metal frying pan, melt the butter and fry the garlic for 2 mins.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts for about 2 mins. Pour in the milk and beer and bring to a gentle bubble
- Add the macaroni and stir intermittently for around 20 mins until the pasta is cooked and covered in sauce.
- Stir in the cheddar and half the mozzarella. When it starts to melt, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top and put it in the oven for around 7-10 mins or until browned on top and sensational underneath.
Looking for more meal options? You can also check out quick dinner recipes to whip in minutes.