The Korean method of grilling pork, chicken, fish or other types of meat usually involves having a grill right on the table. Where people can talk, cook and eat at the same time. Usually the meat is already cut into small pieces before grilling. Are you fan of Korean BBQ? Read on to make lip smacking Korean BBQ recipes.
1. Spicy Shrimp
Sometimes it only takes one special ingredient to give a dish total makeover. In this recipe, that one ingredient is Korean red chili pepper paste – gochugang. It turns ordinary grilled shrimp into something totally different and delicious.
- 1 kg large or jumbo shrimp, peeled, tail on and deveined
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Korean red chili pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar or honey
- ¼ tsp. salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden skewers
- Soak wooden skewers in water, while preparing the shrimp.
- Rinse the shrimp and drain. Thread the shrimp on the skewers.
- Mix extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, Korean red chilli pepper, sugar or honey, salt and pepper in bowl.
- Spoon or brush the marinade over the shrimp to coat evenly. Let it stand for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill. Grill the shrimp skewers over moderate heat, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Baste the shrimp with any remaining sauce while grilling.
- You can also grill the shrimp on a grill pan.
2. Chicken Bulgogi
If you like sweet and savoury flavour but don’t like red meat, this one’s for you.
- 1 kg boneless chicken
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1tsp. Grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ tsp. sesame seeds
- Rinse chicken pieces. Trim off excess fat. Cut the chicken pieces into small sizes.
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade – soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, honey, minced garlic, grated ginger, sesame oil, black pepper, sesame seeds. Mix them until the sugar dissolves.
- Coat the chicken pieces with marinade and set aside for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, reserving the marinade.
- Cook until cooked through, slightly caramelized. Cook for 5 minutes each side.
- Add the reserved marinade when the pan gets dry. Serve hot.
3. Spicy Pork BBQ
Spicy Korean pork BBQ marinated in lots of ginger and garlic. A perfect dish for spicy food lovers!
- 2 kg thinly sliced pork shoulder
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp. Korean chili paste
- 1 tbsp. Korean chili pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- ½ small grated apple
- Thinly sliced meat, if not pre-sliced.
- Mix in – Korean chili paste, Korean pepper flakes, soy sauce, brown sugar, corn syrup, sesame oil, minced garlic, grated ginger, grated apple.
- Marinade for 1 hour.
- Grill over charcoal over medium heat until slightly caramelized.
To make your favourite Korean recipes at home buy all your ingredients at Nature’s Basket store now!