Monsoons are that time of the year when you want to come home to something warm, hearty and comfortable, especially if you arrive home drenched and soaking wet. Wouldn’t you give anything for a hot shower and some warm soup! It doesn’t hurt that making soups is so easy. Soups are also highly nutritious and are a pleasure to have in this weather. We came up with few quick-to-make healthy soup recipes for when you are craving that hot delicious bowl of soup!
1. Pumpkin Soup With Almonds
This slow-cooked flavourful recipe is quick and easy to make. You can even pre-make it and keep for a day or two as this soup holds up quite well. In case it waters out after being reheated just give it a quick stir and whisk.
● 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
● 3 sage leaves
● 6 small onions chopped
● 3/4 cup unsalted, roasted almonds
● 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives- Organic Whole Wheat Flour
● 3 cups vegetable stock, divided
● 1 can pumpkin puree
● 3/4 tsp. salt
● 1/8th tsp. Healthy Alternatives- Organic Red Chilli Powder
● 2 tbsp. fresh chopped chives
1. Place butter, sage, and onion in a large saucepan over medium-high flame. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the onion is lightly browned, stirring in between occasionally.
2. Coarsely chop 1/4 cup almonds and set aside. Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup stock. Add remaining almonds, flour mixture, remaining stock, pumpkin, salt, and pepper to the onion mixture. Bring this to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep pumpkin mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. Place pumpkin mixture in a blender; remove the centre piece of blender lid (to allow the steam to escape). Secure the lid on the blender. Place a clean towel over opening in lid. Process until smooth. Pour the soup into bowls; sprinkle with some chopped almonds and chives.
2. Carrot And Ginger Soup
Loaded with nutrients, this low-fat delicacy is easy to whip up and can be made quickly. The carrots impart a sweet creamy texture while adding to the warmth of ginger.
● 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
● 6-7 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
● 2 cups chopped onion
● 1 tsp. minced ginger
● 2 cups vegetable stock
● 2 cups water
● 3 large strips of zest from an orange
● Chopped chives, parsley or fennel for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat and cook the onions and carrots, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not let the onions or carrots turn brown. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the carrots and onions while they cook.
2. Add the vegetable stock and water, ginger, and strips of orange zest. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots soften, for about 20 minutes.
3. Remove the strips of orange zest or the soup might turn bitter.
4. Pour the soup into a blender and purée until completely smooth. Only fill the blender bowl a third full with the hot liquid and keep one hand pressing down on the cap of the blender to keep it from popping off. Garnish with chopped chives, parsley, or fennel.
3. Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
Want to whip up some fancy restaurant style soup at home? Well, we think you have just found yourself the perfect soup then! Here’s how you can give a fancy twist to the traditional chicken soup by adding noodles, ginger and lemongrass to it.
● 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
● 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
● 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, peeled
● 2 cups water
● 2 cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
● 1-pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
● 100 gms uncooked capellini pasta
● 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
● 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
● 1/2 tsp. salt
● 2 onions, thinly sliced
● 1 red chilli pepper, finely chopped
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and lemongrass and sauté them for about 3 minutes.
2. Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Then add chicken and pasta; cooking it for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is done.
3. Remove from heat; stir in all the remaining ingredients. Let it stand 5 minutes. Discard the lemongrass and serve!
Wondering what to serve along with soup? We have the perfect solution! Check these Gourmet Sandwich Recipes That You Will Love.