Kale is out, dried seaweed is in! The hottest and healthiest trend of 2017 is here to stay. So seize the day with seaweed! Dried seaweed is a fantastic way to incorporate another healthy ingredient into your life. The buzz in health-conscious circles is all about this calcium rich Japanese staple food. This super versatile food can be incorporated into multiple dishes and diets. Time to start weeding out those toxins with some tasty seaweed! Can seaweed be delicious? You betcha!
1. In Seaweed We Trust
Where do we begin? Dried seaweed, often sold as Nori, packs a serious nutritional punch. It’s a vitamin galore, being a great source of Vitamin A,C,E and K. It also contains anti-oxidants which is highly recommended due to today’s polluted climate. One of the things that makes Nori so special is the fact that it is one of the only natural, non-animal sources of vitamin B-12. Low in fat, it is packed with soluble fibre. Saving the best for last, it has an extremely low-calorie content!
2. All Things Nori
The first and possibly the only use of seaweed that comes to mind is in Sushi. However, the trending food is far more versatile than you think! For one, you can add a little extra crunch to your next bowl of soup or rice with Nori. Slice nori into thin ribbons and sprinkle away. You can also use it with Omelets or salads. Basically, anywhere where you want to include dried seaweed’s crisp texture! Or how about some crispy Nori crackers? Or maybe they can be used to create contemporary seasoning with Sesame seeds. The possibilities are endless! We can’t wait to show you a couple of our Nori recipe ideas!
3. Wasabi-Toasted Nori Crisps
First off, we’ve got some simple Wasabi flavoured super healthy crisps. The portions makes 60 cracking crisps!
1. Combine the water and the wasabi in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until the wasabi is dissolved.
2. The wasabi tends to settle to the bottom, so you may need to re-whisk between batches.
3. Take one sheet of nori and fold it in half. Unfold it and lightly paint half the sheet with the wasabi water using a pastry brush.
4. Sprinkle the inside with salt and press it closed.
5. Lightly brush the top with wasabi water, as well. Using a sharp knife, cut the nori into six strips and transfer them to a baking sheet
6. Repeat this process with each sheet of nori until you have filled the baking sheet. Make sure the strips do not touch each other.
7. Bake for 10-13 minutes, until darkened, dry to the touch, and brittle.
8. Transfer the nori crisps to a cooling rack to finish crisping.
9. Repeat with any remaining sheets of nori.
10. Take a step back and ask yourself “How easy was that?”.
4. Nori Seaweed Muffins
Nori seaweed is known to be extremely satiating. Your stomach won’t be growing for a while after you chomp down this delicious food! It’s perfect to satisfy those hunger pangs between meals. So we’ve got some crazy cute muffins coming right up!
• 28 grams of Nori Seaweed (10 sheets)
• 4 eggs
• 200 grams of cake flour
• 150 grams of organic sugar – Healthy Alternatives
• 35 grams of honey
• 3 grams of baking powder
• 1 gram of baking soda
• 150 grams of shortening
• 5 grams of salt
1. Soak the seaweed, drain and set aside.
2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and baking soda.
3. Blend the eggs, sugar, salt, and honey together.
4. Mix till all combined.
5. Add in melted shortening and seaweed to become the cake batter.
6. Spoon the batter into the greased muffin cups, 80% full and bake at 175C for 20-25 minutes.
7. Pull them out and enjoy a guilt-free evening snack!
Stop missing out! Jump on the seaweed bandwagon at Nature’s Basket.
Seaweed is not the only one taking the world by storm, read all about the charcoal food trend here.