Summers can take a toll on your body with the pinching heat’s wrath upon you. With the temperature on the rise, our body loses a ton of water in the process. At this time, it is essential to try to keep our body cool from within. While water does keep you hydrated throughout the day, it doesn’t fill you up when the hunger comes along. To tackle this issue, we have come up with a couple of melon salad recipes that will keep your body temperature in check during the hot season.
Read on to know about these amazing salads.
- Cantaloupe A La Mode
As fancy as the name sounds, this dish is easy to make and promises to be a wholesome meal. It is a fun take on the normal salads that we usually eat and definitely acts as a refresher on a hot summer’s day. The enhanced taste that the fruits provide will leave you wanting more.
Dig in to know how to make this healthy meal.
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup of water
- 2 cup of blueberries
- 2 cup of raspberries
- ½ tbsp. of shredded lemon peel
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- vanilla ice cream
- 2 small cantaloupes/muskmelons
- In a pan, combine the sugar and cornstarch with a pinch of salt. Mix well
- After 1 minute, add the water and keep stirring the mixture until it starts to boil
- To the water, add 1 cup of blueberries and 1 cup of raspberries. Stir it and let the mixture boil for another 2 minutes
- Add the lemon peels and juice in the pan and give one final stir to make a sauce-like mixture
- Cut the muskmelons in half and create a depression in the middle to give the impression of a bowl
- Add a few scoops of ice cream to the muskmelon hollow
- To it, add the rest of the blueberries and raspberries and top it with the berry mixture
- Serve cold!
2. Melon Berry Salad
This delicious fruit salad packs a punch and is sure to provide you with a burst of flavour. It doesn’t take much time to prepare and is highly nutritious. It also acts as a great compliment to grilled meat.
Scroll down to know how to make this salad:
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 4 cups diced musk melon
- 2 cups, hulled quartered strawberries
- 17g fresh blueberries
- 17g fresh blackberries
- 2 tbsp.honey
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla yoghurt
- ½ cup of orange milk
- ½ cup of orange juice
- Combine the watermelon, muskmelon, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries in a large bowl and refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, lime juice, yoghurt, orange milk, and orange juice together to create a dressing
- Add the dressing to the fruits, give it a good mix and serve.
3. Tomato Melon Chicken Salad
Experience the versatility of sweet and savoury through this tomato melon chicken salad. This dish experiments with the flavour combinations but ensures that all your dietary elements are met.
Read on to know how to make this dish.
- 4 cubed medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 cups cubed muskmelon
- 1 cup raspberries
- ¼ cup minced basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ½ kg boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose seasoning
- ½ cup grated blue cheese
- ¼ cup crushed almonds
- Add balsamic vinegar in a pan and bring to boil on low heat. Let it simmer for 15 minutes till it turns into a syrup
- While the vinegar is on the fire, roast the chicken on a non-stick skillet. Make sure the flame is on high. Cook the chicken for at least 10 minutes or till it is no longer pink from the inside
- After it is cooked all the way through, keep it aside to rest for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper and the all-purpose seasoning on the chicken and drizzle a little olive oil on it
- For the plating – layer the spinach on a salad plate evenly. Add the chicken, watermelon, muskmelon, blue cheese and almonds on the plate
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction on top and serve!
The amazing salads will surely help you keep your body cool during the season. Want to know about the other dishes that can help you get through the heat?
Check out Refreshing Summer Salads That Keep You Cool for more ideas!