What’s the one thing that we all eagerly wait for (except Christmas, of course) as soon as the temperature starts dropping? Yes, the supply of sweet, succulent, and beautiful Strawberries. This fruit tastes as good as it looks, and immediately takes over all the dessert recipes for the Winter. But why stop there? Ever thought of how strawberries would taste with savoury dishes? Check out these savoury strawberry recipes to find out!
1. Strawberry Glazed Basil Chicken
Turn your everyday chicken breasts into a gourmet meal by adding a simple strawberry jam based sauce. This unique combination gives a flavourful blast to the regular chicken breasts dish and it’s not too difficult to make either! Serve it with a delicious salad and mashed potatoes on the side, and you have a wholesome dinner at your disposal.
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• ½ cup L’Exclusif – Whole Strawberry Conserve
• 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
• 2 tbsp. water
• 7-8 basil leaves (cut into ribbons)
• Goat cheese (optional)
1. Heat a drizzle of Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with a sprinkle of salt on both sides and place them in a pan. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on one side or until a nice golden crust forms. Flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the L’Exclusif – Whole Strawberry Conserve, balsamic vinegar and water in a small bowl. When the chicken is just about finished cooking, pour the mixture over the top, nestling the chicken breasts into the sauce and scraping up brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
3. Reduce the heat and bring the sauce to a simmer, letting it bubble for 3 or 4 minutes or until it has reduced and thickened a bit. Stir in most of the basil (you may want to save a little for garnish).
4. Remove the chicken breasts from the pan. Pour sauce over the top of each piece. Sprinkle with a little goat cheese if desired and garnish with remaining basil.
2. Seared Salmon with Strawberry Basil Relish
Salmon and basil get a sweet twist with a relish of strawberries, honey, and pepper. This savoury strawberry recipe is an easy winner, owing to a myriad of flavours blending together to form one perfect dish. In just 3 easy steps, you get a delicious plate of restaurant-style dinner. What are you waiting for? Try it now!
• 6 salmon fillets
• 1 tbsp. melted butter
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 1/8 tsp. freshlyground pepper
• 1 cup freshly chopped strawberries
• 1 tbsp. minced fresh basil
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Honey
• Dash of freshly ground pepper
1. Brush the salmon fillets with melted butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the salmon fillets, skin side up, in batches if necessary; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.
3. In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with basil, honey and pepper. Mix them up and serve the salmon with relish.
3. Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry Salsa
Strawberries in tacos? Really? Yes, really. This savoury strawberry dish gives you a combination of delicious shrimps which are spicy and tangy, with a flavoursome salsa that has ingredients you never thought of mixing together. Strawberries, jalapenos, and all sorts of flavours piled on top of warm tortillas with crumbly cheese – our mouths are watering already!
(for strawberry jalapeno salsa)
(chipotle lime shrimped)
• 1-pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
• Juice of 2 limes
• 2 garlic cloves (minced)
• 3 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 1 tbsp. chipotle sauce
• 1 tsp. freshly grated lime zest
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 8 corn tortillas (warmed)
• 1 cup shredded cabbage
• ½ cup mildfeta cheese (crumbled)
• 1 lime (cut into wedges)
1. Make the salsa first so that the flavours settle in. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, red onions, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro, and toss them all together. Add the lime juice, salt, and pepper. Toss it all once again to coat. Place the bowl in the fridge until ready to serve.
2. Place the shrimps on a baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, garlic, 2 tbsp. of Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil, chipotle sauce, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Pour it over the top of the shrimps and toss to coat. Marinate them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Remove the shrimps from the dish and discard the marinade. Add the shrimps in a single layer to the skillet and cook them just until the shrimps turn pink and opaque, for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Flip the shrimps and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the shrimps to a plate for serving. Serve the warm tortillas with the shrimp, salsa, cabbage, and the crumbled feta cheese for topping. Garnish with a lime wedge on the side.
4. Strawberry Skewers with Halloumi and Zucchini
It’s sweet, it’s salty, it’s earthy. This sweet and savoury strawberry recipe is the perfect party appetizer for when you want to step out of the box with your menu. The palatable combo of halloumi, zucchini and strawberries with a drizzle of fresh mint dressing brings back the summer memories of cold fruity salads, but the grilled taste adds the warmth to your winter. It’s a recipe made in heaven!
(For the dressing)
1. First make the dressing; mix all the ingredients together, season well, taste and adjust as needed. Put to one side.
2. Now thread a strawberry, zucchini and halloumi onto a skewer. Repeat this, continuing to thread the skewers until all ingredients are used. Sit them in a shallow dish and drizzle over the olive oil, turning the skewers so all are coated and seasoned well.
3. Heat a griddle pan until hot then add a few skewers at a time, careful to not overcrowd the pan. Cook for about a minute or until the halloumi starts to turn golden, then turn and cook the other side. When all are cooked, arrange them on a platter and drizzle over the mint dressing.
5. Strawberry and Tomato Gazpacho
This classic Spanish chilled soup with a berry-twist is a star-winner for when it comes to savoury strawberry recipes. This gazpacho combines the sweet and savoury flavours of strawberries and tomatoes, to make it the perfect seasonal treat. Add in some vegetables like bell pepper, onions, cucumbers etc. and let the flavours dance on your tongue while you dance to the rhythm of the party.
• 1 L’Exclusif Baguette (crush removed)
• 2-pounds tomatoes (2 tbsp. finely diced, the rest chopped)
• 2-pounds strawberries (same as above)
• 1 large green bell pepper (same as above)
• ¼ medium fennel bulb (same as above)
• 1 ½ cup sparkling mineral water
• 2 garlic cloves (minced)
• Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the L’Exclusif Baguette into 1-inch cubes. (You will need about 1 cup.) Scatter the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes, or until crisp. Let them cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, strawberries and bell pepper with the sliced fennel, mineral water, garlic and bread cubes and, working in 2 batches, puree in a food processor.
3. Strain the gazpacho through a fine sieve set over another large bowl. Season the gazpacho with salt. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes, or until chilled.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, strawberries, bell pepper and fennel. Refrigerate until chilled. Spoon the diced mixture into shallow soup bowls and ladle the cold gazpacho on top. Drizzle each bowl of soup with olive oil and serve.
Get your stock of fresh strawberries and all the other ingredients you need to make these super-unique savoury strawberry dishes at the Nature’s Basket store.
Want some good old strawberry dessert to go with your very berry dinner? Check out this easy recipe for a strawberry cheesecake.