Payal Gidwani, popularly known as Kareena Kapoors trainer and author of ‘From XL to XS’ published by Random House, and now available at all Godrej Nature’s Basket stores, interacted with consumers on the perfect fitness and diet regime for an ideal body structure at our Bandra store yesterday, the 13th jan. We caught up with her afterwards for a chat and asked a few questions for those who could not make it to the interaction. For those of you who missed her, do look out for Mickey Mehta, the fitness guru and founder of 360 degrees, offering his expert guidance on the balance between mind and body through a disciplined fitness routine and because all work and no food is not what we recommend our gastronomist Rushina Munshaw Ghildiyal will demonstrate an array of delicious spicy one dish healthy meals spread across multiple cuisines.
NB: What is your idea of healthy eating?
PG: Healthy eating according to me is a well balanced healthy diet. No short cuts and quickes allowed. I dont believe in those. In yoga we emphasize on eating healthy so no junk food like pizza Burgers and other maida based food is a nono. I also recommend eating in moderation. The key rule is to eat half a stomach full keep one fourth for water and one fourth empty for air.
NB: Which foods go best with yoga?
PG: There is no thumb rule that specific foods go with yoga yes but some tips I have are get up in the mornin and have flaxseeds as they are high in omega 3 and prevent any kind of fatigue and depression. They are beneficial to the mind and moods and highly recommended during menstrual periods. They keep the skin supple and prevent wrinkles and also help in nagging joint pains and keep
the heart healthy .
NB: What products do you recommend from GNB?
PG: I advise people to eat healthy and GNB is the best place to head for supplies. I recomend:
* Oat meal
* Flax Seeds.
* Fresh Pickles ( not bottled )
* Pine nuts.
* Salad ingredients
* Green tea’s.
Of course my list can go on..
NB: What are healthy must-have ingredients in a daily diet?
PG: Garlic, ginger and onions. These have anti-inflammatory properties that can lessen the pain of rheumatoid arthritis. Warming action on upper respiratory tract, and is used to treat colds and flu. Relieving cramps caused by stomach gas. Ginger also stimulates digestion.
NB: Please share some healthy recipes with our patrons?
PG: Please find the below diets:
Stuffed Mushrooms recipe – (175 calories) Servings: 7 (4 mushrooms per serving)
Nutritional information for one serving: Calories: 175, Total fat: 13 g, Sodium: 264 mg, Total carbs: 9.4 g, Fiber: 1.3 g, Protein: 6.8 g, Weight Watchers points: 4
28 large (2 1/2-inch-diameter) white mushrooms, stemmed
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup Panko Italian-style dried bread crumbs
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Stir the Pecorino cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, mint, parsley, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium bowl to blend.
3. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
4. Drizzle a heavy large baking sheet with about 1 tablespoon olive oil, to coat.
5. Spoon the filling into the mushroom cavities and arrange them on the baking sheet (cavity side up).
6. Drizzle the remaining oil over the filling in each mushroom.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes (until the filling is golden on top and heated through and the mushrooms are tender).
Vegetable Soup Recipe 160 Calories
Nutritional information for one serving: Calories: 79, Total fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 534.8 mg, Total carbs: 13.3 g, Fiber: 2.8 g, Protein: 1.9 g
2 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 cups green beans (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1/4 head cabbage, chopped
1 medium turnip, chopped
2 small celery stalks, chopped
6 cups vegetable broth (made from 6 cups water and one Riso Gallo Organic veg stock cube)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Sea salt and Keya pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
3. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes (don’t let the garlic brown).
4. Add the remaining chopped vegetables and saute for about a minute or two (add the second tablespoon of olive oil if needed).
5. While sauteing, add the thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place the sauteed vegetables in the crock pot, add the vegetable broth and tomatoes.
7. Cook on low for about 7-9 hours or high for about 4-6 hours.
8. Just before serving, mash some of the potato chunks against the side of the crockpot to thicken the soup, stir a little and serve.
Oven Fried Chicken recipe – 178 calories Servings: 4
Nutritional information for one serving: Calories: 178, Calories from fat: 62, Total fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 44mg, Total carbs: 12.3g
Fiber: 0.5g, Protein: 15.3g, WW points: 4
4 pieces chicken
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Keya fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a plastic bag, combine the flour with all the other dry ingredients.
3. Wash the chicken and shake off any excess water.
4. Drop the chicken parts in the bag and shake each piece.
5. Place the chicken skin-side down in a metal pan and put in the preheated oven.
6. Turn the pieces over after about 20 minutes.
7. Continue baking until crisp and browned.