Various kinds of seeds have been used since our ancestral time in Indian savoury and sweet dishes. These seeds are incredibly beneficial for your health because of its nutritional values. These seeds are full of protein, healthy fats, dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and more. You can add flavour to regular meals like breakfast, smoothies or even as a topping on your favourite fruits. Keep on reading to find out to how you can include various healthy seeds in your diet.
- Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are high in antioxidants which are responsible for the positive effects on your health. They are highly nutritious and rich in magnesium as well. We understand consuming plain pumpkin seeds can be tedious and not that tasty. Hence, we have brought to you a recipe which is not only healthy but also delicious. Read on below to prepare Parmesan-Herb Spice with Pumpkin Seeds.
- 1 c. pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. crumbled thyme
- Salt to taste
- Start by rinsing the seeds under cold water and remove all the pulpy strings
- Now, allow the seeds to dry out thoroughly
- In a small pan, roast the pumpkin seeds and set them aside. In another pan, toss the seeds with olive oil, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon crumbled thyme, and salt to taste
- Now, combine the two together and serve as an evening snack with your tea!
2. Flax Seeds
Flax seeds are not new to the Indian culture. They were used as a mouth freshener earlier and are still used in various forms. They are rich in omega 3-fatty acids and are also high in fibre. By incorporating flax seeds in your daily diet, you are adding a boost of healthy fats to the foods you consume.
- In a blender or food processor, mix all the ingredients and blend until smooth
- You can top off the smoothie with some more roasted flax seeds.
3. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds can generate heat and energy into your body. They are packed with nutrients that make it a must-have during the winter season. It has multiple health benefits such as hair growth, anti-ageing properties, boosts skin health and helps in digestion as well. The best way you can enjoy having sesame seeds is by making the very delicious sesame laddu.
- ½ cup of sesame seeds
- ¼ cup of crushed peanuts
- ½ heaped cup of jaggery, grated
- 3 tablespoon of water
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon of ghee for greasing your palms
- Dry roast sesame seeds on medium-high heat, until fragrant. It takes about 2-3 mins and the colour will slightly darken
- In the same pan, heat jaggery and ghee until it melts completely. It takes about 3-4 mins to melt the jaggery, once melted you can remove it from the heat
- To the melted jaggery and ghee, add the toasted sesame seeds, pistachio powder, and cardamom powder and mix well
- The mixture will be very sticky and you will need to use a bit of effort to mix well and cool the mixture
- Rub a little ghee on your palms and take a small amount of the sesame and jaggery mix and shape into small bite-size balls. Repeat till all the mixture is over.
- Store in a cool, dry place. The laddus can be stored in an airtight container and can last for a month.
If you are looking for more such recipes, you can check out Healthy Munching – Seeds That’ll Keep You Healthy