Jaggery is made with unrefined sugar and is obtained from boiling raw, concentrated sugar cane juice until it solidifies. Did you know that jaggery is better than the usual sugar? It has a number of health benefits including its ability to cleanse the body, aids in digestion and provides a good amount of minerals. If you are consuming white sugar in your regular diet, it’s time to make a healthy switch!
What if we tell you, you can skip the white sugar completely off your diet and replace it with jaggery powder! Healthy Alternatives jaggery powder keeps all nutrition intact, this is an excellent replacement for sugar and also provides an amazing taste. 100% natural and organic, this jaggery is prepared from organic sugar cane cultivated under organic farming technique. Jaggery activates the digestive enzymes in the body, stimulates bowel movements and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation.
When consumed on a regular basis and in limited quantities, it cleanses the blood, leaving your body healthy. Can’t give up eating sugar or something sweet? It is time to switch to a healthier option, jaggery.
If you are looking for some health benefits of switching to jaggery powder, read on below:
- Healthy source of carbohydrates
Jaggery is a storehouse of carbohydrates, which the body needs to produce energy. However, unlike sugar, which has a simple form that easily breaks down to give instant energy, jaggery has a more complex form of carbohydrate. This slows down the release of energy and spreads it over a longer period of time.
2. Aids in digestion
Rich in fibre, jaggery makes bowel movements easier, thereby relieving constipation. It also activates digestive enzymes and facilitates digestive functions, reducing pressure on the intestines.
Here are some of the delicious recipes you can prepare with jaggery powder!
- ½ cup healthy alternatives jaggery powder or grated jaggery
- ⅛ cup water or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 to 1.25 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon ghee or any neutral flavoured oil
- 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut – optional
- Ghee as required for roasting jaggery roti
- In a bowl take ½ cup jaggery powder and ⅛ cup water (2 tablespoons water). You can also use grated jaggery instead of jaggery powder
- Mix well and keep aside for 30 to 45 minutes or till all the jaggery dissolves
- In another bowl or pan, take 1 to 1.25 cups of whole wheat flour. Also, add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf) and 1 tablespoon ghee
- First, stir the jaggery solution and then using a strainer strain it directly into the bowl containing flour
- Mix very well first and then begin to knead and make a smooth dough. The dough will be slightly sticky due to jaggery in it
- If the dough looks wet, then you can add some more whole wheat flour and knead.
Make this super healthy change to keep all those calories at bay! You can easily replace white sugar with jaggery powder to make it healthier and you can enjoy all the desserts guilt-free.
Are you looking for more such healthy options? You can check out recipes you can create with delicious and healthy nuts.