This festival of colours, infuse lovely and fresh colours even in your diet. Here are 4 simple and colourful dishes you can make at home. Not only do these look amazing because of their eye-catching colours, but are also delicious to eat.
1. Falafel and Winter veggie bowl
For the Roasted Veggies:
- 5-7 carrots
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower salt and pepper to taste For the Bliss Bowls 8-10 pieces of Falafel
- 1-2 cups chopped red cabbage
- ¼ cup crushed pistachios
- 2-3 cups spinach
- 1 jalapeño, cut into slices tahini, lemon juice, honey, and/or olive oil for drizzling
You can either make falafels at home or use store bought ones. ·Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place peeled carrots and chopped cauliflower covered with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven once golden brown and set aside to cool.·In a bowl assemble cucumber, red cabbage, falafel, tomatoes carrots, and roasted cauliflower in the bowls. Top with jalapeño and pistachios. Drizzle with tahini, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, and salt and pepper as needed.
2. Crispy Zucchini Tacos With Cherry Pepper Cream
For the zucchini:
- 1 large zucchini squash, cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
For the cherry pepper cream:
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup half and half 2 tablespoons diced cherry peppers
For the tacos:
- 12 small corn (or flour!) tortillas,
- warmed shredded red cabbage thinly sliced
- scallions thinly sliced radish fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- crumbled queso fresco cheese
- cherry tomatoes,
- quartered or halved
For the zucchini tacos:
In three separate bowls place the following:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Take each zucchini piece and coat it in the egg then dredge it through the bread crumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place it in the skillet and repeat with other pieces.
- Cook the zucchini on each side until golden brown, flipping gently when needed.
- Once finished, place the zucchini on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
For the cherry pepper cream:
Whisk half and half cream, greek yogurt, lime juice and cherry peppers together in a bowl until combined.
For the tacos:
Assemble the tacos as you wish! I like to spoon some cherry peppers onto the warm tortillas before adding the zucchini. From there, I add the zucchini, radish, tomatoes, cabbage, scallions, cilantro, crema, cheese and a spritz of lime.
3. Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
This filling rainbow bowl is a mish-mash of quinoa, cucumber/ kale/ spinach and feta cheese, kalamata olives, pepperoncini eaten straight out of the jar because they are so salty and delicious.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- ½ teaspoon salt 1 clove garlic juice of one lemon
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup olive oil For the Mediterranean Bowls
- cooked quinoafeta cheese spinach, kale, or cucumber kalamata olives
- thinly sliced red onion
- pepperoncini hummusolive oil, lemon juice,salt,
- pepper fresh basil or parsley
- Pulse roasted peppers, lemon, salt, garlic, olive oil and almonds in a food processor to prepare the red pepper sauce. Blend until thick texture is achieved.
- Cook quinoa as per packaged instructions.
- Toss the quinoa, red pepper sauce, diced tomatoes, diced onions, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, olives, feta cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and cilantro and serve!
4. Clean-out-the-fridge miso ramen
A colorful and healthy upgrade on instant ramen and made of everything kept in your refrigerator.
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 carrot, grated 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha, optional
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 100 ml Miso
Cook ramen according to package
- Stir in baby spinach, corn, carrot, and Sriracha until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
- You can add boiled eggs for a protein punch.
Shop all these colourful fresh dailies at Nature’s Basket. Shop online or find the nearest store. Click here.