If you haven’t heard of Quinoa, you are probably one of those few who live under a rock! This superfood has taken over the world and how! It is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. If you think that’s about it then, we should probably also tell you that it is high in fibre, vitamins, and minerals, which means a small regular intake of this superfood can keep your health in check.
We bet you want to know more about the amazing things you can do with Quinoa. Here are 3 recipes to whet your appetite!
1. Quinoa Burrito Bowl
This is a protein packed dinner that even the pickiest eater is sure to love! A delicious and wholesome meal filled with quinoa, corn, chicken and guacamole! It is the perfect dinner for those nights you want to eat clean and healthy. For vegetarians you can easily eliminate the chicken and replace it with more beans or add tofu.
• 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
• 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
• 1 cup mixed greens
• 1/2 cup black beans
• 1/4 cup boiled corn
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
• 1 cup cooked chicken (diced)
• 1 cup salsa
• 1 dollop sour cream
• 1/2 cup guacamole
1. In a pan add quinoa and vegetable broth and bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on. After 15 minutes remove the pot from heat and let the cooked quinoa rest with the lid on for 5 minutes. Season with lime juice and salt.
2. In a bowl combine the cooked quinoa, beans, mixed greens, corn, chicken, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Serve immediately.
2. Chocolate Quinoa Pudding
Those who have a sweet tooth can find solace in this indulgent chocolaty pudding. This might look like that same old, fat-filled pudding that you’re used to, but this one is made with only all whole food ingredients and is high in protein and fibre.
• 1/4 cup quinoa
• 2.5 cups milk
• 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
• 2 tbsp. corn flour
• 2 – 3 tbsp. sugar
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• Chocolate chips (as needed)
• Shredded coconut (as needed)
• 1 banana (optional)
1. Wash and add quinoa in a saucepan. To this add milk and cook till quinoa is fluffy. Keep it simmering by adding more milk.
2. Mix corn flour and cocoa in a bowl with 4 to 5 tbsp. milk. This should be like a smooth paste. Add this prepared mixture to the quinoa and cook till the pudding thickens.
3. Once it thickens transfer it to a bowl. Add in sugar, salt, vanilla and mix well. Top with chocolate chips, bananas and coconut and serve warm or cold.
3. Quinoa Dosa
Quinoa Dosa is a rice free, nutritious and crispy dosa with a lots of protein. Since these dosas are easy to make immediately after grinding the batter without fermenting, they are a quick and easy breakfast item.
1. Rinse quinoa several times with water until the water runs clear to take off the natural bitter coating called saponin from quinoa. It’s important to rinse the quinoa thoroughly so it does not taste bitter.
2. Wash moong dal, toor dal, and urad dal together. Add the rinsed quinoa to this and soak all the four grains together in water for 5 – 6 hours. After 5 hours blend the four grains in a blender or grinder with some water to form a smooth batter. Add salt and mix well.
3. In a non-stick pan pour a ladle of batter and spread it in a circular motion. Drizzle oil on sides of the dosa and cook until the bottom side of the dosa becomes crispy. Serve with chutney and sambar.
Enjoy all the benefits of quinoa with these recipes. But first grab all the ingredients you need from Godrej Nature’s Basket now!
Breakfast is undeniably the most important meal of the day. Enjoy a wholesome and nutritious breakfast with these Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipes.