Keeping up with our fusion of health and taste, this time we’ve got a dessert favourite for you. Blueberries are known for their striking colour and sweet yummy taste, often being used for desserts and cheesecakes. Would you believe it if we tell you that this delicious fruit also has amazing health benefits?
Blueberries are rich in fibres, vitamin C, vitamin B, and essential phytonutrients that support heart health. They also help in maintaining a balanced blood pressure and blood sugar level. Do we even need to convince you to add this berry to your daily diet? We bet you’re putting it on your grocery list already. To help you enjoy this healthy treat better, we’ve got 3 simple and scrumptious vegan breakfast recipes to make your mornings sweeter and healthier –
1. Blueberry Chia Overnight Oats
They say if your breakfast is great, your whole day goes great. Well if that’s the case, this blueberry breakfast recipe is just what you need to make sure your days are always perfect. The nutritious oats mixed with blueberries and chia seeds, each with their own set of health benefits, is exactly the kind of power-packed meal you need in the morning. Follow this simple recipe to get a healthy start to the day –
1. Place the oats, chia seeds, almond milk, coconut (if using), and maple syrup in a large bowl. Stir them together until combined. Cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge overnight. 2. In the morning, stir in the fresh blueberries, leaving some for garnish. Top the mixture with nuts or coconut flakes, if desired.
2. Blueberry Vanilla Buckwheat Waffles
Mmm, did someone say healthy waffles? This breakfast favourite gets a healthy vegan twist with the blueberries, buckwheat batter, and almond milk. If you’re someone who likes to have a delicious, filling breakfast then the blueberry vanilla buckwheat waffles are your go-to recipe. In just four easy steps, you can treat yourself to this nutritious yumminess. Check it out –
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine buckwheat flour, whole wheat flour, organic maida, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar. Stir to combine. 2. Pour in the milk and vanilla, stirring gently and then whisk for 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on the surface. This helps them become nice and fluffy when you cook them! 3. Just before you are ready to cook them, pour in the blueberries and stir gently to combine. 4. Once your waffle iron is heated, pour in the batter and cook as per instructions. Store leftovers in a zip lock bag in the fridge or freezer, and pop them in the toaster to reheat!
3. Quinoa Breakfast Porridge with Blueberry Drizzle
This childhood favourite breakfast staple gets a healthy twist with quinoa, soy milk, and our star ingredient, blueberry. Mix it all up and enjoy a wholesome breakfast in no time! Follow the recipe here –
1. Take a pot and add one-part white quinoa, one-part water and one-part soy milk. Bring it to a boil and then turn down to a low heat. You don’t need a lid. Now add the spices – cardamom, star anise, cinnamon, and salt. 2. Cut the almonds and apricots into slices and throw them into the pot as well. Hold back a few of each for garnish. Let everything simmer for about 20 minutes until the quinoa is soft and the liquid is absorbed. 3. Meanwhile, grab a pan and throw in the blueberries. Mash them a little with a fork. Let them simmer until they resemble marmalade. That’ll take about 5 minutes. 4. Once the quinoa is done, fish out the anise star and cardamom pods. Take a new bowl and add the cooked quinoa. Pour a little more soy milk over your concoction. Now add the blueberry sauce. Sprinkle a few more almond and apricot slices on top if desired.