As kids, growing up, we have always looked up to Popeye, who had a can of spinach every time, that gave him some extra strength. This superfood indeed provides you with plenty of nutrients and is a great source of energy. This dark leafy vegetable is known for its ability to transform your skin, hair and bone health. Spinach has been used throughout history especially in the Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and South Asian cuisines. We have come up with some dishes that use this multi-nutrient food in various parts of our day. Read on to know more about these dishes.
- Spinach Egg Muffins
This breakfast dish is very popular in parts of Europe and is the perfect dish to carry when you are on the go. This scrambled egg variation with spinach is a healthy alternative to your hash browns and meat. Dig in to know how to prepare this yummy dish.
- 12 beaten large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tsp. paprika
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Take a large bowl and add in all the ingredients. Give it a good whisk
- Grease a muffin tin tray and fill each slot about 2/3 of the way
- Place the tray in the oven at 350 degrees F and leave it in for 25-30 minutes
- Take out the tray and keep it aside to cool for 5 minutes
- Take out the muffins gently and place it on a plate to serve
3. SpinachCottage Cheese Pie
This quick and easy Italian Dish makes a wholesome lunch for the entire family. It is high in protein and vitamins along with being super delicious. This dish will surely bring a smile to your face and make you want more. Scroll down to know how to make this dish.
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup condensed milk
- 3 large beaten eggs
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 300g Spinach
- ½ tsp.salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 pastry dough
- Take a large pan and sauté the onions with butter
- Remove the utensil from the flame after it has been thoroughly mixed and stir in the spinach, nutmeg and salt
- In a large bowl, add the cottage cheese, condensed milk and eggs. Stir it well till you get a thick consistency
- Combine the spinach mixture into the bowl and stir again. Keep aside for 2 minutes
- Take a pie base and spread the dough evenly across
- Pour the mixture from the bowl into the dough
- Place the base into the oven at 350 degrees F, for 40-45 minutes
- Once cooked completely, take out the pie from the oven and leave it to rest for 5 minutes before you serve.
3. Spinach Pesto Pasta
This 100% vegan dish has flavours that sing. It is completely nourishing and filling at the same time. This dinner dish is so rich and authentic, it screams Italy all over. The best part of this dish is that it only takes 30 minutes to cook! Read on to know how to prepare this dish.
- ½ cup cashews
- 6 cups spinach leaves
- 2 basil leaves
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ juiced lemon
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 300g pasta (of your choice)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 diced shallot
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of water
Instructions for vegan spinach pesto:
- Add the cashews into the food processor and mix it till crumbs are formed
- Add the spinach, basil, non-dairy milk, juiced lemon, salt and pepper, into the processor and mix it till the spinach and basil are chopped finely
- Pour in lemon juice to taste.
Instructions for Pasta:
- Fill 3/4th of a pot with water. Add ½ tsp. salt into it and wait till it boils
- Add an entire packet of pasta into it and wait till it cooks through
- Reserve ½ cup of after from the container for later. Drain the rest of the water after the pasta has completely absorbed the water and is soft enough and keep it aside
Instructions for Spinach Pesto Pasta:
- Pour olive oil in a large pan on medium heat
- Add the shallot and ½ tsp. salt. Stir until the onion turns slightly brown
- Add the garlic and stir it for 60 seconds till it gives out a fragrant
- Add the cooked pasta and the reserved water into the pan and give it a good mix
- Pour the pesto sauce on top and blend it gently with the pasta
- Add salt and pepper to taste and keep stirring
- Reduce the flame to medium-low and cook till the pesto thickens and stick to the pasta
- Remove the utensil from the heat and serve.
Want to know more about this healthy vegetable? You can check out Know Your Veggies to understand the benefits.