Like every other year, Children’s day is an occasion to bring a wide smile to your Lil’ munchkins face. They love delicious food but not any run-of-the-mill dish will make the cut on this day, right? Ditch the uninspiring pizza, pasta, and sandwiches and make something exquisite for your child.
Here are some quick and easy kids recipes to surprise them this Children’s day.
1. Buttery Cinnamon Pretzels
- 5 cups flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ tsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup of sea salt
- Warm water
- Cinnamon powder
- Preheat the baking oven to 450 °F and prepare the greased baking tray
- Take a small bowl and mix the yeast with 1 tsp sugar and 1 ¼ cup water (about 300ml). Allow it to hold for about 10min till it gets creamy
- Now, take the flour, ½ cup sugar, and ½ cup salt in a large bowl. Knead the mix such that a cavity is created in the centre of the bowl. In this cavity, add the oil and yeast mix. Knead this mix for another 8-10 minutes till it becomes smooth. Then transfer the dough to another big bowl, which has been oiled a bit on the sides. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrapper and allow it to ferment for an hour
- Take a container and add the baking soda to about 4 cups of warm water. In the meanwhile, take out the fermented dough from the bowl and prepare around 10-12 equal-sized pieces. Roll the dough pieces into a rope-shaped form to resemble a pretzel
- Finally, dip each of the pretzel doughs in the baking soda mix and place them side-by-side on the greased baking tray. Sprinkle some salt and bake in the preheated oven for around 10 minutes or till they start turning golden brown
- Before serving, dip the pretzel in melted butter and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Enjoy!
2. Wholegrain Chicken Gherkin burgers.
A healthy and tangy twist to every child’s favourite snack!
- 100 grams gherkins
- 4 whole-grain buns
- Peri-peri sauce (or tomato ketchup)
- 1-2 garlic heads, peeled
- 350 grams of chicken mince
- ¼ cup low-fat yoghurt
- Lettuce, chopped
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1-2 carrots, shredded
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil
- Put the gherkins, chicken mince, and garlic in a food processor and mix it properly. Roll the mince mix into four equal-sized patties. Refrigerate for around 10-15 minutes and allow it to solidify
- Mix 1 tbsp peri-peri sauce with the yoghurt in a small bowl to create the burger sauce
- Take a non-stick frying pan and brush some oil on its sides. Shallow fry the patties for about 10-12 minutes till they turn golden brown
- Slice the buns into halves, insert the patty, burger sauce, and add adequate amounts of lettuce, tomato slices, and carrots.
3. Healthy Oats Nuggets
It is impossible to resist these golden fried beauties!
- 5-6 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and peeled
- ½ cup white coarse oats
- 1 medium-sized capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 50 grams green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- Powdered spices – garam masala, black pepper, red chilli, oregano, ½ tsp each
- 2 cubes (25 grams) cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp gram flour (besan)
- Cooking oil
- Salt, to taste
- In a food processor, add the oats and blend them till it becomes a semi-fine mixture
- Lightly roast the gram flour (besan) in a utensil till it lets out an aroma
- Mash the boiled potatoes with a masher. Add the carrots, peas, capsicum, powdered spices, and salt to the mashed potatoes. To this, add the roasted besan and grated cheese and continue mixing. Then add 1-2 tbsp of coarse oats and mix again. Depending on your preferences, add additional salt or spices
- To make the nuggets, take this mix and mould it into a log-shaped form. Cut equal-sized chunks from this log
- In a separate bowl, mix about 2 tbsp besan with an equal quantity of water to make the coating batter
- Dip the nuggets one by one in the batter and ensure that all sides are covered uniformly. Let the excess batter drip off. Then, coat the battered nuggets in a layer of the semi-fine mixture of oats
- In a frying pan, take ample amounts of cooking oil for deep frying purposes. Slide the nuggets into the hot oil gently and fry them till they turn golden and crispy. Avoid overcrowding of nuggets in the frying pan
- Remove the golden fried nuggets from the pan and place them on paper towels to soak excessive oil
- Serve the piping hot nuggets with any dip or tomato ketchup.
4. Supreme Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 grams of butter
- 600 grams (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 450 grams of chocolate chips
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 100 grams walnut, chopped
- Hot water
- ½ tsp salt
- Pre steps: Preheat the oven to around 350 degrees F and keep an ungreased baking plate ready
- Mix the white sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl until the sugars dissolve, and the mix becomes smooth
- Break the eggs and add them into this mix one after the other. Follow it with the vanilla extract. Keep mixing to create a smooth batter
- In another utensil, dissolve the baking soda in hot water. Add the flour, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and the baking soda mix into the batter gradually. Continue to mix the batter for smoothness
- Using a large spoon, drop this batter (in a disk form) onto the ungreased baking plate—Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, or till the cookies turn brown and crunchy. Your chocolate chip cookies are ready!
Head over to Nature’s Basket store to get the best quality ingredients for your recipes.
Also, are you looking for more easy-to-make recipes? Check out our Easy Recipes section.