Summer = fish and chips, everyone knows this. The crispy fried fish and the fresh French fries to go with it, are the stuff of food dreams! Little do people know that they can prepare this dish in different ways.
So bring out your apron and let’s start cooking!
- Pan-roasted Cod With Sweet Potato Chips And Avocado Yoghurt
What’s better than a healthy twist to a classic dish? Think pan-roasted cod with sweet potato chips. Honestly, the only thing that can make this mouth-watering dish better is the addition of avocado yoghurt to it.
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek Yoghurt
- Juice Of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1/4 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Chives
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Thick Fish Fillets
- Salt And Pepper
- Lemon Wedges
- Start with the Avocado yoghurt – combine the avocado and yoghurt in a bowl. Blend with a stick blender till smooth puree is formed
- Season with salt, stir the chives through and set aside
- Now heat your oven to 180 Celsius
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into long, thin strips
- Place the baking paper in a large oven tray and brush the paper with some olive oil
- Lay the potatoes in a single line on the paper and brush with some more oil. Bake in the oven for about eight to ten minutes. Remove them once they turn golden-brown
- Leave the fries on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes and season with salt
- Heat a frying pan over high heat
- Brush the fish with the remaining oil and fry for 3-4 minutes or until they get a nice golden-brown tinge
- Turn the fish over and transfer the pan to the oven for three minutes to let the fish cook through
- Remove and serve with the Avocado yoghurt.
2. Mediterranean Fish And Chips
What better way to experiment with a classic dish than by adding an exotic twist to it.
- 2 Corn Cob, Husk And Silk Removed
- 175g Punnet Mini Capsicums
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 250g Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 800g Firm White Fish Fillets
- 1/4 Cup Gluten-free Plain Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Egg, Lightly Beaten
- 4 Cups Corn Chips, Crushed
- 2/3 Cup Salsa
- Start by preheating the oven to 220 degrees C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Place the corn and the capsicum in a large bowl. Add half the oil to the bowl and toss it to ensure that all the ingredients are coated evenly
- Heat a large chargrill pan over high heat. Cook the corn and capsicum, until they soften and start to char
- Using a sharp knife, remove the kernels from corn cobs and transfer them to a large bowl
- Roughly chop the capsicum and add it to the bowl along with the tomato, lime juice, coriander and the remaining oil
- Slice the fish into long, thin strips and place the flour on a plate
- Combine the milk and egg in a shallow bowl and place the crushed corn chips on another plate
- Coat 1 piece of the fish in flour and shake off excess before dipping it in the egg mixture
- Next, coat the piece of fish in corn chips. Place the fish on the lined baking tray.
- Repeat with the other fish
- Bake the fish pieces until they get a golden tinge and are cooked through
- Serve with corn salad and salsa
Now that you have these recipes in hand, it’s time for you to wow your guests with your exemplary culinary skills! And for all your ingredients, Nature’s Basket has you covered!