Lay down the red carpet to welcome the king of fruits! It’s time to take your taste-buds for a tropical vacation and taste a slice of sunshine itself. Savour the intense sweetness and the warm sensual aroma as you bite into the amber succulence of the most awaited fruit of the season-the royal Mango. Salty pickles, tangy chutneys, sweet marmalades, am ras and jams, refreshing am panna and squashes and salads are a few of the many recipes that mangoes inspire.
From sweet to spicy, sour to tangy there’s a mango recipe to please any palate and suit every mood. The exotic king of fruits unites versatility and nutrition and pleases the palate when it is ripe as well as unripe. When unripe, the mango is rich in Vitamin C. With ripeness comes more or Vitamin A and plenty of sugar. Did you know that the ripe mango, when part of an ice-cream gets protein from the milk making it highly nutritious? Also balanced in food value is a refreshing mango milk shake. Those on a slimming course beware!
Spicy Mango and Honey baked Ham salad.
‘Salsafy’ your mango! I serve this with iceberg lettuce leaves. Roll spoonfuls of the salad into lettuce wraps and enjoy the contrasts of flavours and textures. Sweet Mango savoury chicken, spicy chilli, and cool crunchy iceberg lettuce. Eliminate chillies and the kids will love this as well.
Serves: 2-4, Time: 25 mins
For the dressing
- 1 cup salsa sauce
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander,
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 chilli minced
- 1 tbsp chilli oil
Mix well and reserve.
For the salad
- 1 cup firm sour –sweet mango diced fine
- 1 cup Honey Baked Ham diced medium
- 1 large head Iceberg lettuce
- 15 – 20 mins before you are ready to eat, fill a large bowl with water and ice, place lettuce in it and put in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a large bowl combine mango with ham and toss well.
- Add dressing, mix well and allow to stand so flavours combine.
- When ready to eat, remove lettuce from fridge, separate out leaves and serve on a platter alongside chilled salad.
Caramelised Mango and Rocket Salad
A variation of the classic Rocket Salad in honour of the Mango season in Mumbai!
Serves 4, Time 10 mins
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Combine, mix and reserve
For the Salad
- 300g rocket leave torn to bite size
- 2 large mangoes, chilled
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts, toasted and chopped
- Just before you are ready to serve salad, slice off the cheeks (the plump sides) of the chilled mangoes. Leave rest of the mango to eat later!
- Heat a clean pan to very hot, swirl in a little oil to coat base and allow to become very hot. Now, working quickly, place the reserved cheeks of mango flesh side down on the hot pan for exactly 1 min. Be careful, the aim is to caramelize the surface of the slice but have the inside just warm.
- When done place each mango slice on a plate, top with a handful of Rocket and drizzle with dressing.
- Garnish with toasted cashew nuts and serve at one.
Buy chicken ham & salami from Natures Basket store at best prices !!