Christmas is after all, about joy, family, friends and of course – food! When it comes to winter holidays, food traditions are an important part of celebrations all over the world. Read on to know the traditional Christmas recipes from around the world.
1. Christmas Pudding (England)
The dish goes by many names. Whether you call it fudgy pudding, plum pudding or Christmas pudding, this is the ultimate Christmas tradition in England.
- 50 gm blanched almonds
- 2 large apples
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1kg raisins
- 140 gm all-purpose flour
- 100 gm breadcrumbs
- ]100g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 250 g butter (cold)
- Chop almonds and apples. Grate the nutmeg.
- Mix the almonds, apples, nutmeg, raisins, flour, breadcrumbs and sugar together.
- Whisk 3 eggs, sugar and butter. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Take a cake pan and grease it with butter. Pour the pudding mixture in the pan.
- Boil or steam the pudding for 8 hours. Let it cool overnight.
- On Christmas day, steam for 1 hour and serve.
2. Cranberry Turkey (United States of America)
The classic cranberry turkey is the traditional dish prepared for Christmas in the States. Read on to make this turkey recipe.
- 8 tbsp. butter, softened
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. rosemary
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1kg turkey
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- 3 large onions chopped
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 cup cranberry
- In a small bowl, combine 5 tbsp. butter, minced garlic, poultry seasoning and minced rosemary thyme.
- With your fingers, rub the butter over the turkey skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Place two onions, garlic cloves, cranberry and rosemary inside the cavity. Place turkey in a large shallow pan and add remaining onions and carrots.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees Celsius for 4 hours.
- Cover with silver foil and rest it for 20 minutes before slicing.
- If desired, thicken the sauce for gravy.
3. Panettone (Italy)
Italy has numerous regional traditions when it comes to Christmas dinner. Along with the other traditional dishes is the Panettone. This Italian bread is similar to a fruit cake and traditionally served during holidays.
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 ¼ dried yeast
- ¼ tsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- To prepare marinated fruit, combine all the dry fruits together.
- To prepare dough, dissolve yeast and ¼ tsp. granulated sugar in warm water.
- Lightly spoon flour in a small bowl.
- Combine ½ cup flour, egg, butter, salt, sugar, milk together.
- Beat at medium speed with a mixer.
- Slowly mix all the mixtures together.
- Pour the mixture in a large bottom pan greased with butter.
- Bake at 325 degrees Celsius and serve hot.
Make these traditional Christmas recipes from around the world at your home.
Buy all the ingredients at the Nature’s Basket store now!