Festivals are celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm and joy In India. Navratri is one of the biggest festival celebrated throughout the country and lasts for nine days. While some people fast throughout the nine days, others like to observe the fast on the first and last day of the festivity. Try out these simple recipes during the festivity.
1. Low Fat Kheer
A quintessential Indian dessert, kheer is loved by all. Cook this yummy dessert while you are fasting and do not want to intake too many calories.
1. Take a skillet and pour the milk in it and simmer over low heat. Break the makhanas in smaller pieces and add them to the milk. Let it sit for about ½ to 2 hours without covering, till the seeds are soft and the milk boils down.
2. Add the sugar and stir for a few minutes. Then add the pistachios, almonds and cardamom powder and stir again.
3. Serve hot or cold, as you like.
2. Coconut Burfi
The delicious fusion of crunchy coconut and aromatic essence of cardamom makes for a delightful burfi recipe.
1. Start by adding the grated coconut, sugar, cardamom powder and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the mixture for around 10 minutes or till the mixture is thick.
2. Now add grated dried khoya and microwave the mixture for another 5 minutes. Keep stirring the mixture occasionally. Then add the ghee to the mixture and stir again.
3. Now, take a plain skillet and grease it with some ghee. Spread the mixture on it and let it cool down. Cut the mixture in to desired shapes and serve.
The festivity rubbed off on you and you are leaning towards a vegan diet? Check out, 7 Tips For Following A Vegan Diet