What’s a better way to celebrate chocolate day than preparing some chocolate delicacies? Chocolate is the epitome of desserts! Be it any kind of dessert assortment it seems incomplete without chocolate. We have put together some of the fresh and unique chocolate recipes for you to prepare at the comfort of your home.
- Chocolate Babka
FOR THE BABKA DOUGH
- 1/3 c. milk of lukewarm
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 2/3 c. all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. butter softened
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 3/4 c. chocolate chips, divided
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
FOR THE EGG WASH
- Reserved egg white
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, add lukewarm milk, yeast, ⅔ cup flour, and 4 teaspoons sugar
- Using a spatula, mix until well combined, then cover with and let sit for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours
- Once the sponge has formed some air pockets, add in 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk, remaining 1 cup flour, remaining ¼ cup sugar, and salt. Mix on low speed until well combined, then gradually increase to medium-high speed. Continue mixing, scraping down the bowl every 2 to 3 minutes, until dough becomes elastic and pulls away from the sides of the bowl
- With the mixture is runny, add in butter gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, letting each tablespoon fully incorporate into the dough before adding the next. Continue mixing on medium-high speed until the dough is glossy and passes the windowpane test, 3 to 5 minutes more. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight
- 30 minutes before you’re ready to assemble the babka, make the
- chocolate filling: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt together butter, cream, and 1 cup chocolate chips in 20-second increments until smooth, stirring between each heating to prevent burning. Stir in zest, if using, and salt. Let cool before using
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Using your fingertips, work in butter until evenly distributed and tiny clumps of streusel form. Refrigerate until ready for use
- In a small bowl, whisk together reserved egg white with sugar and salt. Bake until deeply golden on top and the centre of the loaf registers between 190° and 205°, 45 to 50 minutes.
2. Chocolate Pudding Pie
FOR GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- Cooking spray, for pan
- 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
FOR CHOCOLATE PUDDING FILLING:
- 2 c. whole milk
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Spray a 9″ pie plate with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together all crust ingredients until fully combined. (Mixture should be coarse and sandy.) Press mixture into a prepared pie dish and refrigerate.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine milk and chocolate. Whisk occasionally, until chocolate is fully melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and brown sugar until lightened in colour and ribbons begin to form, about 3 minutes. Add cornstarch, espresso powder, and salt and beat until combined.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into a bowl with egg yolks, whisking constantly until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until mixture thickens and bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pan, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk until smooth, then transfer filling into the prepared crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, make the whipped cream: combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and salt in a large bowl and beat until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top pie with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate curls.
Read on to Nature’s Basket blog for more dessert recipes.