There’s always more room for desserts and especially if it’s a well-made tiramisu. Tiramisu is a classic Italian no-bake dessert made with layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers and incredible mascarpone cream. The custard-like cream is excellent and contains no raw egg. This easy recipe is truly the best homemade tiramisu and always gets rave reviews.
Did you know that the word Tiramisu (tiramisu in Italian) means “cheer me up” or “pull me up,” which is very appropriate because one bite will put you in a good mood! An authentic Tiramisu dessert that has 2 focused layers: sponge cake ladyfingers soaked in coffee and liqueur and the mascarpone cream layer. This classic dessert is so delicious that after a bite, we bet you’ll be aiming for the entire dish!
To prepare this oh-so-amazing dessert, you can get all the ingredients from Nature’s Basket.
- 1 1/2 cups espresso (or strong coffee), room temperature
- 6 Tbsp golden rum divided
- 40 ladyfingers
- 6 egg yolks (large)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 16 oz mascarpone at room temp for 15 minutes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 2-3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder to dust the top
- In a bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups espresso and 3 Tbsp rum. Quickly dip half of the ladyfingers, one at a time and arrange in a single layer in the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Now, dip once on each side so they are moist but do not soak ladyfingers or the cake will collapse.
- In a separate medium glass bowl, whisk together yolks and sugar. Place over steam, you can use the saucepan with simmering water method and whisk 10 minutes on low heat until the mixture is lighter in colour, slightly thickened and not grainy when you rub between your fingers
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly while doing step 3.
- Next, beat together 16 oz mascarpone and 3 Tbsp rum. Use an electric hand mixer to beat in the warm yolk mixture until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, beat cold heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form for about 3-4 minutes
- Now, using a spatula gently fold half of the whipped cream into mascarpone cream then blend in the remaining whipped cream, just until incorporated. Do not overfold or it will become grainy.
- Spread half of the cream over the first layer of ladyfingers. Dip and arrange remaining ladyfingers. Spread remaining cream. Refrigerate overnight.
- For finishing touches, dust with cocoa powder before serving. It is ok to dust with cocoa ahead of time – it will just darken it in colour from the moisture.
To check out more such desserts, you can head on to Nature’s Basket.