We enjoy having a variety of fruits in different ways in our day-to-day life. Each one of them has a distinctive flavour and nutritional values. One such exotic fruit is the gooey Custard Apple, commonly known as Sharifa or Ramphal in India. This exotic fruit is full of flavour and contains multiple nutrients like vitamin C and B6, fibre, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Hence, it has a high content of antioxidants and works as a great immunity booster. Due to its creamy, rich texture and sweet flavour, you can use custard apple to make various scrumptious desserts.
Listed below are the top 3 sweet treats you can make using the gooey custard apple:
- Custard Apple Kheer
- 5 large custard apples
- 1 cup broken green gram (roasted)
- 100 gm jaggery
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 3-4 almonds.
- 3-4 pistachio.
- 3-4 raisins.
- 3-4 cups water
- Peel the custard apple and take out the pulp out of its seeds, refrigerate it for a while
- Roast the green gram, place it in a pressure cooker with 3 cups water and cook until it turns soft (3 whistles)
- Place the jaggery and cardamom powder in a non-stick pan and cook it until jaggery melts
- Now, add the custard apple pulp and cooked green gram into the melted jaggery and mix them well
- Next, add coconut milk and boil the mixture
- Garnish with chopped almonds, raisins and pistachio flakes
- Once the delicious custard apple kheer is cold, it is ready to be served.
2. Custard Apple Kalakand
- 1 tsp custard apple pulp
- 2-litre milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cardamom powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- Silver paper (optional)
- Start by peeling the custard apple and take the pulp out of its seeds, refrigerate it for a while
- Now, divide the milk in half into two separate pans
- Heat the milk in one pan until it is reduced to half
- Boil the milk in another pan and squeeze lemon to it till it curdles
- Turn off the gas and sieve the curdled milk in a clean cotton cloth.
- Hold all the sides of the cloth together and squeeze it tight to drain the whole whey and here you get the homemade Paneer
- Add this Paneer to the other pan of reduced milk
- Mix it well and cook until mixture starts leaving the pan sides
- Now, add sugar to it and cook for 3-4 minutes more
- Turn off the flame and add the refrigerated pulp of custard apple and cardamom powder. Mix them all together
- Grease a plate using ghee and spread the mixture in it evenly
- Garnish it with pistachio flakes, silver paper and leave it for some time to set
- Once set, cut it into square shapes and your custard apple kalakand is ready to be served chilled. You can store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
3. Custard Apple Basundi
- 1-litre full-fat milk
- 20-25 strands saffron
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup custard apple pulp
- 3-4 almonds
- 3-4 pistachio
- Pour milk into a pan and bring it to a boil
- Add saffron strands to it and simmer the milk until it is reduced to half
- Keep stirring the milk so that milk may remain smooth and thick. Make sure the milk doesn’t cream
- Now, add sugar to the reduced milk and cook it for another 3-4 minutes. Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool
- Once it is cold, add the refrigerated custard apple pulp to it and mix them well
- Garnish it with pistachio and almond flakes along with 4-5 saffron strands. Your Basundi is ready but refrigerate it for a couple of hours before serving.
Other than these mouth-watering desserts, you can have custard apples bought online to make many different dishes and drinks like porridge, pancakes, smoothie, shake, phirni, ice-cream, breakfast cereals, and many more. You can use this exotic fruit with almost any sweet dish and tweak your traditional recipe for a heavenly taste. For instance, cook your granny’s conventional rice recipe kheer with a twist of custard apple (Sharifa) and a dash of healthy dry fruits. Enjoy the delightful taste of lip-smacking and rich kheer, which is full of nutrition too.
Are you looking for more such sweet treats made of milk and fruits? Yes? Then, read on to Delicious Recipes You Can Prepare With Milk.