Unwilling to sweat it out in the unbearable heat gripping the city? Weary of taking the stairs or walking to the office in the baking temperatures to shed a few kilos? Time to greet the summer with fresh flavours and healthy salads.
Explore our stores and pick up some essential salad ingredients as we have put together a few summer salads recipes for you to try out. Summers aren’t just about cool cucumbers and juicy watermelons! Discover the joys of colourful succulent veggies like bell peppers and the wonderful crunch of Iceberg Lettuce and toss them around with your favourite dressings.
Revitalize your body with these refreshing summer delights and keep those calories at bay.
Italian Butterfly Cold Pasta salad
(Serves: 4, Time 15 mins)
Keep cooked pasta on hand for this quick salad.
- 250 g Farfalle or Fusilli, cooked
- 100 g cheese, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped fine
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped fine
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes-halved
- 3-4 mushrooms-diced
- 150 g Rocket lettuce torn to bite size bits
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
Combine everything and mix well.
(Serves 4-6, time 20 mins)
Cabbage, one of the most underestimated vegetables is the foundation of this Asian style coleslaw. Make ahead of time (it only gets better the next day) just add bean sprouts, onions and garnish before packing. Add spicy cooked rawns, chickn tofu of mushrooms for a full meal.
For the Dressing
- ½ c natural vinegar
- ¼ c honey
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp grated gingerroot
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chilies
- ½ tsp chili sauce
Put everything into a small screwtop jar and shake well. Leftover dressing can be stored in the fridge.
For the Salad
- ½ head cabbage, grated
- ½ head red cabbage, grated
- 1 cup assorted vegetables sliced into matchsticks (carrot, babycorn, French beans)
- ½ cup assorted peppers sliced thinly
- 1 pkt bean sprouts
- 1/3 c chopped green onions
- ½ c herbs, (coriander, basil and mint) finely sliced into chiffonade
- ½ cup toasted peanuts crushed coarsely
- ½ cup toasted sesame
- Combine cabbage, vegetables and capsicum in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss well. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve add bean sprouts, green onions and toss well.
- Garnish and serve.
Mexican Ensalada de Elote (Sweet Corn Salad)
(Serves 2-4, Time 15 mins)
This is a great snack, but can also make an ideal light lunch on hot summer days, pack nachos on the side.
For the dressing
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 2 tomatoes, in small (corn-sized) dice
- 1 medium onion, in small dice
- 2 green chiles, chopped fine
- 2 capsicums, chopped fine
- 500 g corn, cooked (or canned corn, drained)
- ½ cup coriander, chopped fine
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bow and mix well.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Mediterranean Citrus salad with goats cheese and parsley
(Serves: 4 Time: 15 mins)
The sweet orange and tangy contrasts nicely with the crumbly cheese, briny olives and sharp red onion and the precision of the olive oil. The parsley adds a fresh green hue to this vibrant summer salad.
- 3 c orange segments
- ½ c whole leaves of flat leaf Parsley
- 1 ½ c fuity goats cheese or herb flavoured Athenos Feta cheese, cubed/crumbled
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh or preserved red chillies sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp Zest of Orange
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup pitted olives, jalved
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine everything in a mixing bowl.
- Toss well and chill untill ready to serve.