Chilled soups sound like an odd concept but they can be really refreshing and tasty. Not only are they an alternative to beat the heat, but also act as hydration agents and can be used as a replacement when you are in no mood to eat anything that comes out from a stove. Read on to know more about these cold soups. Chilled soups sound like an odd concept but they can be really refreshing and tasty. Not only are they an alternative to beat the heat, but also act as hydration agents and can be used as a replacement when you are in no mood to eat anything that comes out from a stove. Read on to know more about these cold soups.
- Chilled Yoghurt and Chickpea Soup
Originating from Istanbul, this easy and nutritious soup will serve you well during the humid season. With flavorful elements, this dish requires minimal ingredients and takes up to 15 minutes to prepare. Dig in to know how this cold soup is made.
- ½ kg chickpeas in water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 Pita bread
- In a non-stick pan add the chickpeas, salt and garlic powder and give it a good stir. Keep it to boil for a minute and keep it aside to cool down
- Add the yoghurt onto the chickpeas and store it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- As the soup takes its time, put the pita bread on cooking sheets and place them in the oven to broil until they are crispy. Once done, tear the pita bread into small chunks
- Take the soup out of the refrigerator and sprinkle the pieces of pita bread on it evenly to serve.
2. Watermelon Gazpacho Soup
There is no doubt that watermelon is a treat during the summers. From eating them directly to making juices and popsicles out of them, we all enjoy this fruit. This watermelon cold soup may sound bizarre but has the ability to knock that summer heat out of the park. Dig into how to prepare this dish.
- 6 cups cubed watermelon (to puree)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 minced jalapeno
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- A pinch of salt
- In the blender add the watermelon and make it into a puree. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer it to a different utensil and let it rest
- Slice the tomatoes in half and add it in the blender. Mix it well till it gives out a semi-thick consistency
- Peel the cucumber and pluck out the seeds and puree it
- In a large bowl, pour in all the 3 purees and whisk it gently to remove pulps
- Add the cilantro, salt, sugar, and basil into the mixture to enhance the taste and stir
- Distribute this mixture carefully on the serving bowls
- If there are any remaining watermelon chunks, add them as a topping into the bowls and serve.
3. Chilled Strawberry Soup
Originating from France, this soup is rich in nutrients and promises to keep your body cool internally during the hot humid weather. Strawberries are known to be a great source of anthocyanins along with having amazing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. With the help of just 5 ingredients, this soup is a must-have.
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- 2 cups vanilla yoghurt
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups of milk
- Add in the sugar and mixture into a large bowl and keep it to rest for 2 minutes.
- In a blender add the strawberries, milk, vanilla yoghurt and lemon juice to make a thick puree
- Transfer the stir completely until it dissolves and serve in soup bowls.
Need some more ideas for summer grubs? You can check out Summer Sips and Slurps for some amazing recipes!