Marzipan is a baking ingredient that is often used in Holiday treats but is also popular year round for decorating cakes and making candy. This easy step by step recipe shows how easy it is to make it at home with only a few ingredients! This homemade Marzipan Recipe shows how easy it is to make this famous ingredient from scratch! Marzipan is one of my favorite sweets, it tastes sweet, but not overly sweet, has a distinctive almond aroma similar to Amaretto and the texture is a bit like cookie dough. In Germany, you can buy sweets made from this almond-based confectionary in every grocery store, sometimes shaped into Marzipan Fruits or little chocolate-covered sweets but there are also many baked goods made with Marzipan which you can get at every good bakery.
Now, what exactly is Marzipan?
Marzipan is a soft, dough-like mixture that is often used as an ingredient in baking for example in cookies or to cover cakes but can also be made into sweets. To make candy, it is often dyed with food colors and then shaped into little figurines or covered with chocolate. The main ingredients are almonds and sugar. The higher the proportion of almonds the higher the quality. It often gets flavored with extracts like rose water or almond extract for a stronger almond flavor. High-quality German marzipan is made without any added egg whites or corn syrup.
How to make a 3 Ingredient Marzipan
- Almond flour
- Corn syrup
- Combine all the ingredients together until they are grinded finely.
- Once, done remove the mixture out and use your hands to form into a log
How to store a Marzipan?
Marzipan has to be stored in an airtight container to prevent it from hardening and dehydrating. To prevent the rancidity of the almond oil it should be protected from direct light and stored in a cold and dark place.
Now that you know how to make marzipan and how to store it as well, here are some recipes you can make with Marzipan
What better way to get into the Christmas spirit than by celebrating it with some delicious marzipan cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 cup marzipan
- tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° F, butter and flour an 8-inch cake pan (or springform pan) and line bottom with parchment paper
- With electric beaters, cream butter and sugar together
- Cut the marzipan into chunks and beat into butter mixture (if marzipan is firm, soften in microwave for 30 seconds on high) until smooth
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and stir in lemon zest and extracts
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt
- Add to marzipan mixture and blend until smooth
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a plate to cool completely
- Dust with icing sugar
- Marzipan cake will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container
This Christmas prepare the traditional Marzipan and woo your guests with the variety of the dishes.
For more Christmas recipes, check out All Things You Need For A Mezze Christmas