From their amazing tacos to their rich and tangy rice, we can’t seem to get enough of the Mexican cuisine. One of the most commonly relished dishes in this extensive cuisine is the quesadilla. Tangy, smokey and warm – this dish provides one with an explosion of flavours.
Unfortunately for all the vegans out there, more often than not, this brilliant dish is not compatible with their diets.
To remedy this problem, we have found the perfect vegan quesadilla recipe for you to try out at home.
- Black Bean And CornQuesadillas
While these small quarters may seem light, they definitely do their job of filling you up and leaving you satisfied.
Read on to find out how to create this dish from scratch
For the Black Bean and Corn Mix:
- 1/2 Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 425g Canned Black Beans, Drained
- 425g Canned Sweet Corn, Drained
- Sea Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper to Taste
For the Guacamole:
- 155g Grated Vegan Cheese
- 8 Tortillas – Wheat or Corn
For The Black Bean And Corn Mix:
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add the crushed garlic and chopped onions
- To this, add the cayenne pepper and cumin. Sauté until the onions soften
- Once done, add the black beans and corn. Mix them well with the spices
- Finally, add the pepper and sea salt to taste and set aside
- In a bowl, mash the avocados
- To this, squeeze in the lemon and add the sea salt and pepper
- Give the mixture a good mix and set aside
For The Assembly:
- In a bowl, grate the vegan cheese and set aside
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat (the pan should be dry and no oil should be added to it)
- Add 1 tortilla to the pan
- Fry it until it browns lightly on one side before flipping it over
- Add some of the black bean and corn mix to one side of the tortilla and top it with some guacamole and vegan cheese
- Fold one half of the tortilla to close it and pat the top with your spatula to make sure that it sticks
- Cook for a few minutes before flipping it over and cooking the other side. Both sides should be nicely browned and toasted
- Repeat these steps until all 8 quesadillas have been cooked
- Cut into quarters and serve
2. Cheesy VeganQuesadilla
If you are a fellow cheese lover, then this recipe is just for you.
The Mexican Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons mild salsa
For The Rest:
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small zucchini, chopped small
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped small
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped small
- 3 mushrooms, chopped small or sliced
- 8 tortillas (8-10 inch size), whole grain, gluten-free or white if preferred
The Mexican Cheese:
- Add the cashews to a food processor and blend it for 4 minutes until the cashews get a buttery texture
- To this, add the yeast, spices, salt and pepper and blend together
- Set aside
For The Assembly:
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and lightly spray with oil
- On a tortilla, spread 1/3rd cup of Mexican cheese and top it with the desired amount of vegetables and black beans. Pat down another tortilla on top of it.
- Carefully place the tortilla in the quesadilla in the pan and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown on one side
- Flip the quesadilla and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Plate and enjoy!
If you are unsure of where to pick up these ingredients from, head on over to Nature’s Basket and pick up all your ingredients at one place.