For those of you who have aversion to desserts that are too sweet for your taste and prefer mild and subtle flavours, Tiramisu is the perfect dessert which will enrapture your taste-buds. It has a dark coffee and rum flavour interlaced with the light creaminess of mascarpone cheese and a beautiful dusting of dutch cocoa powder. Can anyone contemplate a world where blanc foamy cream like cheese, a biscuit base soaked in a dark blend of coffee and rum or perhaps a bit of chocolate could ever go wrong?
Tiramisu is more or less a cake of Italian ancestry – a layered dessert, consisting of alternating layers of run & coffee-soaked Savoiardi biscuits and sweet mascarpone cheese. Cocoa powder is sifted on top (and sometimes between layers) as both a garnish and a bitter counterpoint to the sweetened cheese mixture.
Tiramisu is vulnerable to modification and as such you too can tweak the recipe to your taste. Try using chocolate chips because when you bite into a slice of the cake the smooth homogenous journey is interjected by the lovely crunch of the chips with hints of dark bitter-sweet chocolate complimenting the coffee.
You will find all the ingredients required to make a delicious Tiramisu at your nearest Godrej Nature’s Basket store from Saviordi biscuits to Italian Mascarpone cheese. So try making this simple yet delicious dessert and give your taste-buds a heavenly retreat!
Preparation time: 10 minutes (excluding refrigeration)
- 12 Savoiardi biscuits
- 400 ml Mascarpone Cheese
- Cocoa powder
- Dark Chocolate chips and/or chocolate shavings (optional)
- coffee-rum blend with 3 tsp coffee powder+4 tbsp water+1 tbsp rum (You can alter the coffee or rum quantity to your peference but taste it before doing so or else it will be too bitter)
*You can add about 1 cup of whipped cream if you think it has become too dark or bitter for your taste.
- Combine the rum, coffee powder and water.
- Soak the biscuits in the rum and coffee mixture and place them in a single file in an 8″ deep dish or a deep tray/box to cover the entire surface.
- Smear enough mascarpone cheese to cover the layer of biscuits underneath. Sprinkle some chocolate chips or cocoa powder.
- Repeat this entire procedure twice or thrice depending the number of layers you wish to have in your cake. Let the topmost layer be that of the cheese topped with cocoa dusting, choco chips or chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours before consuming.