Rakhi or Rakshabandhan is an auspicious occasion that holds a special significance in the Indian culture. We are sure, like every year, you must have prepared something great for your sibling! This year, why don’t you surprise them with these delicious sweets? Read on to prepare our Rakshabandhan favourites at home.
1. Coconut Ladoos
Ladoos are something no one can deny. These sweet balls are filled with loads of flavours and will make your taste buds crave for more. Try these nutty, creamy coconut ladoos at home for your rakhi celebrations and you’ll have everyone asking for more.
1. In a large saucepan, take 2 cups coconut (fresh/desiccated) and 1½ cup milk
2. Mix well making sure the coconut gets soaked completely
3. Now add ¾ cup sugar or jaggery to the mixture. Add more sugar for sweetness if required
4. Mix continuously keeping the flame on low
5. Allow the sugar to melt and let the mixture turn watery
6. Keep stirring keeping the flame on low
7. Milk will start to evaporate after 20 minutes and the mixture will turn crumbly
8. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes
9. Now add 2 tbsp chopped cashew and ¼ tsp cardamom powder and mix well
10. Prepare small balls to form the ladoos
11. Roll them in desiccated coconut, although, this is optional, it will definitely make the ladoos more attractive
12. Finally, your ladoos are ready to be served.
2. Chocolate Barfi
Chocolate and barfi in one? Yes, you read that right! This tasty chocolate barfi is going to be your next favourite dish at every occasion. Read on to please your taste buds with this recipe.
1. Start by crumbling the khoya and add it to a large saucepan
2. Now, turn on the heat and put it on low flame. Stir continuously to prevent it from burning
3. When the khoya gets warm, add in the sugar, cardamom powder and rose water
4. Now, let the sugar melt completely and let it turn into a halwa like consistency
5. Keep on stirring continuously. Cook it until it starts leaving the sides of the pan and turns into a thick consistency
6. Now, divide the mixture into two parts, knead one of them into a smooth dough
7. Shape it into a square on a greased foil
8. Now, add the cocoa powder to the other part and knead with greased palms
9. Place both the layers on top of each other and sprinkle some nuts
10. Now, refrigerate for 10 mins and serve.
3. Delicious Date Roll
This easy-to-make date roll recipe is perfect to celebrate with your sibling as it is not only utterly delicious but also very healthy. Read on to prepare this at home for your sibling.
1. In a food processor, add the dates and coconut oil and churn it into a paste
2. Now, add in the vanilla extract and sea salt and process until combined
3. Take out the date paste and add it into the bowl of nuts
4. Using a spoon or your hand, combine the mixture completely
5. Once, incorporated, mold the mixture into an even roll shape
6. Sprinkle the shredded coconut on a plate and roll the date roll over it
7. Now, place it into the refrigerator for an hour
8. Slice the roll in circles before serving. Enjoy!
What are you waiting for? Grab an apron and start prepping these sweets to surprise your sibling.
Loved these recipes as much as we do? Check out Gourmet Hot Chocolate 3 Ways!