The heat is on! And there is nothing better than Mediterranean food to feast on in this weather. And to whet your appetite this week we now bring to you an exquisite range of Greek Feta cheese infused with aromatic herbs. Feta, a white brined curd cheese with a tangy to salty taste was produced traditionally in Greece dating back thousands of years and is still made by shepherds in the Greek mountains with unpasteurized milk. Feta is delicious crumbled over salads or eaten as is with a drizzle of olive oil and a tough of Oregano. It is also makes a fabulous filling for phyllo-pastries and cheese pies.
And Athenos flavoured Feta is an example of just how a little creativity can make a good thing better. These Feta cheeses come in aromatic, tantalising flavours like basil & tomato, peppercorn, garlic & herb that accentuate the soft milky acidity of Greek Feta. So add a gourmet touch to your salads, sandwiches and wraps with some of these fabulous Feta’s – use the basil and tomato flavoured feta cubes to enhance a salad or a summery past salad, or uplift your everyday meals by substituting the paneer in your paranthas with crumbled garlic and herb feta!
Basil & Tomato Feta Bruschetta:
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 36 slices
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 7 plum tomatoes, chopped (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 pkg Athenos Crumbled Feta Cheese with Basil & Tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped black olives
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Heat the bread slices in an oven set at 200 c/400 F for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted on both sides. Brush lightly with half the oil.
- Combine the tomatoes, remaining oil, cheese, onions, parsley, olives and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture onto toast slices just before serving.
Classic Greek Salad:
- 1 cup of torn mixed salad greens-lettuce/rocket/spinach
- 3/4 cup pitted black olives
- 3 tomatoes – cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, cut into wedges
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg. Athenos Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese/Peppercorn feta cheese
- Combine the veggies in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese.