What is more pleasurable than baking a pie from scratch? Nada! While we are all at home and eating safely from outside is a distant dream, we can try our hand at baking a fresh pie. Our mouth can’t stop watering at the thought of making the delicious delicacy. And why not? Everything about is worth loving, from its flaky crust to juicy sweet, sweet pie filling. We understand the effort that goes into baking a pie from scratch, but you will pat yourself when you have you! Let’s dive into our baking session and help you be an expert at baking the dessert that makes everyone drool!
- Pie Crust
A pie crust is a regular part of all the pies you bake. Hence, let’s get into making the base first – A buttery, flaky crust.
- Mix flour, salt, butter, and vegetable shortening and mix it well
- Make a dough of the material by adding a tablespoon of cold water at a time
- The dough should not be sticky. Flatten the dough in discs of about 1-inch thickness
- Refrigerate the disks for two hours and roll it out later
- Start from the centre and then work on the sides of the disk. And your crust is ready for perfection!
2. Puff Pineapple Pie
- 1 can of crushed pineapple
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- ¾ cup of shredded coconut (sweetened)
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ cut confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract/rum
- Drain the canned pineapples, keep just two tablespoons of the juice, and set the pineapples aside
- Set the pastry in a 9-inch dish and cut off the edges. Once done, sprinkle some sweetened coconut on the base
- Take a small bowl and add sugar, flour, salt, butter, pineapple, and lime juice. Mix all the ingredients well and add them to the set pie dish
- Cover the juicy pie filling with the remaining crust. Set the pastry to create your own design
- Cover the edges with foil but make sure the foil is not covered too tightly
- Keep the pie in the oven at 400° for 25 minutes
- Remove the foil and bake it for the next 5-10 minutes to turn the crust golden brown. Also, check if the filling has turned bubbly.
- Take another bowl and mix confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, and the juice you reserved from the can
- Mix it well and brush it on the top of the pie. Keep the pie in the refrigerator and let it set. Your dessert is ready to serve after the hefty dinner.
3. Apple Pie
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups of thinly sliced peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Take a small bowl and mix sugar with the rest of the spices and flour and keep it aside. Take a bigger bowl and toss apple (buy online) slices with lemon juice
- Now, add the sugar mixture in apples and coat them well
- Set the 9-inch pie plate with bottom crust. Fill it up with the sugary apple mixture/pie filling and toss some butter over it. Cover the filling with the rest of the crust. Trim the edges to smoothen it out
- Take the egg white and beat it until foamy and then brush it over the crust. Sprinkle sugar over it and cover the edges with foil
- Bake the apple pie at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for the next 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown
- Let it cool and serve the classic home-cooked apple pie.
3. Strawberry Pie
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup of water
- 1 package strawberry gelatine
- 4 cups of thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 sheet crust pie (9 inches)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Spread the crust sheet on a 9-inch dish. Trim the edges and cover it with foil to bake it at 450° for 8 minutes. Bake for another 5 minutes after removing the foil
- Take a saucepan; add sugar, corn starch, and water to make a smooth puree. Bring it to boil and let it thicken. Take it off the heat and add gelatine
- Refrigerate the mixture for 15-20 minutes. While the mixture is cooling, arrange the freshly sliced strawberries on the crust
- Now, pour the cooled mixture on the strawberries and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Now that you are there, you know the pleasure of each part of the pie. If you think you’ve excelled at making pies, you can try Easy Pie Recipes To Make from Scratch!