Rewind the time to a few years ago and you would find that most people didn’t even know what ‘gluten-free’ meant. But now, with more awareness about celiac disease and a growing popularity of gluten-free diet even otherwise, the market is flooded with gluten-free options for every kind of food. Why should you compromise on your favourite daily food items just because you’ve chosen to go gluten-free after all? Keeping up with the times, we’ve got 4 everyday-food recipes for you with a gluten-free twist. Now you can enjoy everything you love to eat in a healthier way –
1. Gluten-Free Jowar Roti
Picture Courtesy: Gluten-Free Restaurant
Roti is a staple food in every Indian house and if you’ve chosen the gluten-free life or have celiac disease, it can be tough to suddenly ditch this basic item from your everyday diet. But don’t worry, everything has a gluten-free substitute, and roti has plenty of them in fact! Jowar, quinoa, ragi, corn flour – the list goes on! Jowar roti is an easy replacement for your regular wheat roti, and even has more health benefits. It’s a high end source of protein, fibre, and essential minerals. The presence of iron and copper in it helps regulate proper blood circulation, fueling cell growth and enhancing overall functionality of the body. Check out the simple recipe –
• 1 cup Healthy Alternatives – Organic Jowar Flour
• Salt to taste
1. Heat ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, switch off the flame, add the jowar flour and mix well. Keep it aside to cool slightly.
2. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using 1 to 2 tbsp. of water if needed. Divide the dough into 7 equal portions. Take a portion of the dough, flatten it slightly and place it on a dusted rolling board and roll it out with a rolling pin into circles.
3. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a medium flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it. Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for few more seconds.
4. Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides. Serve immediately.
2. Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
Picture Courtesy: Amy Green
Once again, a breakfast staple that just can’t be avoided! Bread is that essential item that definitely needs a gluten-free replacement if you’re trying to avoid gluten. Lucky for us, there is a substitute out there which is easy to bake and delicious to eat. With millet flour, you also get important organic compounds that can significantly boost your health in various ways. Read on for the recipe –
• 3/4 cup warm water
• 1 packet instant/rapid rise yeast
• 1 1/2 cups Healthy Alternatives – Organic Pearl Millet Flour
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 2 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Sugar
• 4 tsp. psyllium husk
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 3 large Healthy Alternatives – Free Range Organic Eggs (whisked)
• 2 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Whisk the water and yeast together in a small bowl. Allow it to stand for five minutes.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine millet flour, cornstarch, sugar, psyllium husk, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine. Fit the stand mixer with the flat paddle attachment. Add the yeast mixture, eggs, oil, and vinegar. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Dough will be thin.
3. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the dough evenly into the pan. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray and place plastic wrap loosely on the pan. Allow the dough to double in size. This takes about one hour.
4. When the dough has doubled in size, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap from the top of the pan. Bake until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 210°F, about 45 minutes. (If the crust gets too dark before the internal temperature reaches 210°F, place a piece of foil onto the bread. This prevents the crust from burning.)
5. Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for two minutes. Transfer the bread to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
3. Gluten-Free Fresh Pasta
Picture Courtesy: Serious Eats
Got a gluten condition but love Italian food? Well, your gluten-free pasta substitute is there to save the day. It’s healthier than the traditional white wheat pasta, and tastes just as amazing. It has a high protein content and is a great source of dietary fibre. Who said gluten-free food can’t cover all the essential nutrients? Check out the recipe and enjoy your healthy homemade pasta –
• 1 1/2 cups Healthy Alternatives – Organic Brown Rice Flour
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 2 tsp. psyllium husk
• 4 large Healthy Alternatives – Free Range Organic Eggs
• Kosher salt
1. In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, cornstarch, and psyllium husk. Add the eggs. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir until a dough forms. Generously dust your counter with brown rice flour. Turn dough out onto counter and knead a few times until fairly smooth.
2. Divide dough into four equal pieces and work with 1 piece at a time, keeping the rest covered. Press the dough to flatten it slightly. Using a pasta machine set at the widest setting, run the dough through 2 times. Continue rolling dough through successively narrower settings until you reach the second-to-last setting.
3. Cut the dough sheet in half horizontally and pass each through the fettuccine cutter. (The spaghetti setting is too thin for this gluten-free pasta.) Dust pasta with brown rice flour and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
4. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately with your choice of sauce.
4. Gluten Free Pancakes
Picture Courtesy: King Arthur Flour
Going gluten-free doesn’t mean you give up on your favourite foods! Pancakes are a breakfast favourite for everybody, no matter what age. Once again, rice flour to the rescue when you need a gluten-free pancake option without compromising on the taste. Delicious and healthy pancakes are just an easy recipe away –
• 1 cup Healthy Alternatives – Organic Brown Rice Flour
• 1.5 tbsp. cornstarch
• 1/3 cup potato starch
• 4 tbsp. dry milk powder
• 1 packet stevia natural sweetener
• 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. psyllium husk
• 2 Healthy Alternatives – Free Range Organic Eggs
• 3 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 2 cups water
1. In a bowl, mix or sift together the rice flour, cornstarch, potato starch, dry milk powder, stevia sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and psyllium husk. Stir in eggs, water, and oil until well blended and few lumps remain.
2.Heat a large, well-oiled skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Spoon batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form. Flip, and continue cooking until golden brown on bottom. Serve immediately with condiments of your choice.
With these everyday gluten-free recipes available, you never have to worry about your diet again! Get your essential gluten-free ingredients now at the Nature’s Basket store.
Want a wholesome and delicious gluten-free recipe for a perfect lunch or dinner? Check out this Gluten-Free Aglio Olio Pasta recipe.