Chia seeds have been the talk of the town for quite a while now, cropping up as an ingredient in every other healthy food recipe these days. They’re known to be one of the world’s oldest sources of nutrition, documented to have been eaten by the Aztecs and Mayans as early as 3500 BC. Now, after millions of years, they’re resurfacing as a superfood trend. How cool is that! Are you wondering what’s so special about them?
Chia seeds are a powerhouse of protein, antioxidants and fibre. Being the highest combined plant source of omega 3, protein and fibre, chia seeds make for an excellent detox ingredient. One tablespoon of chia seeds can provide 100% of our daily requirement for omega 3 ALA. They’re also gluten-free, making them suitable for everyone. If you’re planning to go on a weight-loss diet, chia seeds will be your best friend. They’re low-carb, and their high fibre content makes sure you stay full for longer, curbing hunger pangs.
We can go on and on about the benefits of chia seeds, but we bet you’re convinced already. Chia seed is the food hero our body deserves, and the one it needs. Lucky for us, they’re very versatile and can be added to a variety of delicious recipes. Check out some of them below –
1. Chia Oat Super-Bowl
Picture Courtesy: Well + Good
What happens when the best of food comes together? A super bowl recipe! Have this breakfast bowl in the morning and you’ll be charged up all day. The healthy oats will reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, along with numerous other nutritional benefits. You already know the magic of chia seeds.
The spirulina powder, a popular super powder and known to be one of the most nutrient dense foods in the world, will help in removing blood toxins and boost the immune system due to its high chlorophyll content. The health benefits of this recipe don’t end just yet. The dragon fruit is a beautiful and delicious tropical fruit, a great natural anti-ageing agent, being a rich source of antioxidants. It also helps in boosting immunity and metabolism. Can you think of a healthier breakfast? Check out the recipe below –
• 1/3 cup Healthy Alternatives – Rolled Oats
• 3 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Chia Seeds
• 1 cup coconut water
• 1 banana
• 1 dragon fruit (pulp)
• 1/2 cup frozen raspberries and blueberries
• 1 kiwi
• 1 tbsp. psyllium husk (optional)
• 1 tsp. Healthy Alternatives – Spirulina Powder
1. Soak the oats and chia seeds in coconut water overnight.
2. In the morning, mix them with all the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
3. Top it with some raspberries, blueberries, goji berries and flax seeds.
4. Have it at room temperature or cold.
2. Banana Cake with Chia Seeds
Picture Courtesy: Cook It Up Paleo
Who doesn’t love a slice of scrumptious banana cake in the morning? Not only is it extremely delicious, but also super healthy! Bananas are packed with nutrition. They are a great source of potassium, and their natural sugar balanced with soluble fibre can give you a slow, stable energy release, lasting for a long time. This combined with the super powers of chia seeds is the best food you could have for a healthy diet! Check out the recipe –
• 2 cups Healthy Alternatives – Almond Flour
• 2 tbsp. cornstarch
• ¼ cup flaxseed meal
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Chia Seeds
• 1 cup bananas (mashed)
• 2 Healthy Alternatives – Free Range Country Eggs
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ cup coconut milk
• 1/3 cup Healthy Alternatives – Organic Honey
• 4 tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
1. In a large bowl mix the almond flour, cornstarch, flaxseed meal, baking soda, salt and chia seeds. In a separate bowl, cream together coconut oil (not melted) and honey with a hand mixer.
2. Add in the eggs one at a time and continue mixing. Add in mashed banana, vanilla extract and coconut milk. Mix it until fully incorporated.
3. Pour wet ingredients in with dry ingredients and mix together with hand mixer to form a batter. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, covering two sides. Pour the mixture evenly in the pan. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. Set the pan on a wire rack when removing it from the oven and allow it to cool.
3. Coconut Chia Seed Protein Pancakes
Picture Courtesy: Bowl of Delicious
Did someone say healthy pancakes? Yes, you can have this breakfast favourite without compromising on your nutritional needs now! All you need to do is switch to healthy ingredients! This recipe gives you a way to have your daily dose of chia seeds in an easy and delicious way. It’s super simple and super nutritious! Best of both worlds, right? Try the recipe now –
• 5 Healthy Alternatives – Free Range Country Eggs
• ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1/3 cup vanilla protein powder
• ¼ cup coconut flour
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• 2 tbsp. stevia sweetener
• ½ tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Chia Seeds
1. In a small bowl, mix egg whites and almond milk with a wire whisk. In a larger bowl, mix the remaining ingredients with a fork. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Using a 1/4 C. measure, pour pancake batter onto preheated griddle. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and then flip. Cook on other side until done and then transfer to a plate or cooling rack.
3. Top it with anything you like; nut butters, fruit, agave, honey, maple syrup, etc. Enjoy!
So what are you waiting for? There’s no reason to not add this superfood to your daily diet now. Go to the Nature’s Basket store and enjoy the benefits of chia seeds!
Want more of such ingredients that can boost your health? Super seeds to the rescue ! Check them out.