Are you always in a hurry and missing meals? Are you a student living alone with an empty fridge and no cooking skills? Are you just lazy, like most of us? Two words – mug recipes. We’ve all heard of mug cakes, but why stop there? These mug recipes ranging from breakfast to dinner are all you need to fix your problems and your daily diet. They’re super easy to make and we’ve even added some healthy twists to get you your required nutrition. So, as long as you have a mug and a microwave/oven, we can assure you, you will never go hungry again. Check out these recipes –
1. Banana Nut Bread
Got a banana, a microwave, and 5 minutes to spare? Then you’re in for a healthy treat. The Banana Nut Bread is a super-quick fix for your nutritious needs. It will give you your daily dose of required iron, and essential vitamins, and the high fiber value will keep your blood sugar levels in check. Use this recipe for when you’re in a hurry, or just too lazy to cook a dish early in the morning. Having breakfast like a healthy king isn’t difficult anymore!
• 3 tbsp. Almond Flour
• 1 ½ tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Organic Sugar
• ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
• ¾ tbsp. Healthy Alternatives – Pure Olive Oil
• 1 tbsp. milk
• banana (ripe and mashed)
• Pinch of salt
• Pinch of baking powder
• Pinch of baking soda
• A cup of walnuts
1. Whisk together dry ingredients directly into a mug.
2. Add in the egg and stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
4. Microwave for 2 ½ to 3 minutes at 60-second intervals.
2. Spinach and Cheddar Quiche
Have this for breakfast or lunch – it works both ways! A wholesome quiche power-packed with spinach’s nutrients and the yummy taste of cheddar cheese to help you love the greens. Spinach is an excellent source for a host of vitamins and minerals, along with high calcium and iron content. Who said healthy eating can’t be effortless? Just quickly put the ingredients in a mug and you’re all set for a healthy meal in just 5 minutes!
• ½ cup fresh baby spinach
• 1/3 cup milk
• 1/3 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
• 1 slice bacon (cooked and chopped) (optional)
1. Place the fresh spinach in a mug with 2 tbsp. of water. Cover it with a paper towel and microwave on high for one minute. Remove the mug from the microwave and drain the water and liquid from spinach thoroughly.
2. Crack the egg into the mug with the spinach and add the milk, cheese, bacon (if using), and salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Cover it with a paper towel and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until fully cooked.
3. Egg Fried Rice
What if we tell you that you can now enjoy fried rice without any efforts? Your dinner cravings now have a quick and easy solution with this egg fried rice mug recipe. No more worrying about goopy rice or getting the water measurement wrong. With the goodness of eggs giving you your protein power and the jasmine rice fulfilling your fiber needs, this is a wholesome meal that takes barely any time to cook. Just follow our easy recipe to get delicious fried rice any time!
• 1 cup Jasmine Rice (cooked)
• 2 tbsp. frozen peas
• 2 tbsp. red pepper (chopped)
• ½ stalk of green onion (sliced)
• Small pinch of mung bean sprouts
• ½ bowl cabbage (shredded)
• 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
• ½ tsp. sesame oil
• ½ tsp. onion powder
• ¼ tsp. five-spice powder
1. Place the rice into a large mug. Lay the peas, red pepper, green onion, mung bean sprouts and cabbage on top. Cover the mug with cling film. Using a knife, puncture one or two small holes through the film. This step is important! You don't want to scald yourself. Microwave on high for 1 minute 15 seconds.
2. In the meantime, beat the egg and mix in the seasonings (soy sauce, sesame oil, onion powder and five-spice powder). Pour the egg mixture into the mug, and stir with the vegetables and rice.
3. Cover the mug with cling film again, and microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds. Take the mug out of the microwave, and give everything a good stir. Let the fried rice stand for a minute to finish cooking. Use a fork to fluff up the rice and serve.
4. Vegetarian Bean Chili
Did you think that only easy, low-ingredient recipes can be made in a mug? Even a rich dish like vegetarian kidney bean chili can be mastered within 5 minutes with a mug and microwave. Did you know that kidney beans are an excellent source of molybdenum, a mineral which helps in breaking down essential amino acids in the body? This makes kidney beans extremely nutritional along with its high fiber content. Once again, you have an excellent lunch or dinner recipe to help you have a delicious and healthy meal instead of spending on cold take-outs. No need to become a MasterChef anymore to enjoy a tasty dinner!
• ½ small onion (finely chopped)
• 1 fat garlic clove (crushed)
• 1 tbsp. butter
• ½ tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. paprika (sweet or smoked)
• 400 g. tomatoes (chopped)
• 400 g. kidney beans
• 1 tbsp. coriander (chopped)
• 1 tbsp. soured cream (topping)
1. Put the onion, bell peppers, garlic, butter and spices in a microwaveable mug, give it a quick stir, then heat in the microwave on high for 30-40 secs. Leave it to stand for 1 minute, then add the chopped tomatoes, beans, and vegetable stock cube.
2. Cover the mug with cling film and pierce it 3 times. Place some kitchen paper on your microwave turntable, put the container on top and cook for 2 minutes on high. Stir well and leave to stand for 1 minute.
3. Cover the mug again and cook on medium heat for a further 2 minutes. Give it a good stir and allow to stand for 1 minute before serving it. Top it with soured cream and coriander.
No more skipping meals or compromising on your health on busy days! Get your ingredients at the Nature’s Basket store and have fun with your mug and microwave.
Want some easy to cook sweet recipes for those me-time days when you’re feeling lazy? Check out these 5 Minute Dessert Recipes .