This pad kra pao gai commonly known as Thai basil chicken is one of the most popular Thai dishes. A simple recipe which can easily be made with tofu for vegetarians.
(If egg used)
· 1 egg
· 2 tablespoons of oil for frying
· 1 chicken breast (or any other cut of boneless chicken, about 200 grams)
· 4 Thai chilies
· 5 cloves of garlic
· 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
· 1 tablespoon oil for frying
· 1 splash of dark soy sauce
· 1 handful of Thai holy basil leaves
· ½ teaspoon sugar
First, fry the egg
- On high-medium flame, heat a wok or frying pan with about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Drop in the egg when the oil is hot. Cook the egg until done and remove from the flame.
- The chicken should be cut into small bite sized pieces. Use tofu instead of chicken if you prefer.
- Fry pounded garlic and chillies and toss in the chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the holy basil, oyster sauce, light soy and dark soy sauce along with sugar and cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and plate the chicken on the rice.
- Garnish and serve with fresh basil.
View our freshest range of Thai food at www.naturesbasket.co.in